Sign in to follow this  
mbiewer

Mid Life/wife crisis Question

Went from the 12x17 canvas to the fifth wheel and 3/4 ton. Wife likes it (for now), hot shower is nice. Diesel pulls all this no problem and averages about 13 MPG doing it. Freeway at 80 empty about 17. DEF is no big deal at 20 bucks every 5000 miles or so, oil change with synthetic my labor about 100 bucks. Still got the tent, ranger gets to come too, on it's own trailer hooked to the fifth wheel.

Pick up a nice used fifth wheel for 10K. Mommas happy, your hunting, life is good.

post-958-0-50883200-1528424079_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-95085200-1528424257_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Keep in mind gents , and I have a diesel and a 31 foot 5th pulling a trailer @ 80 is not suggested. Ask the tires guys the recommended speed on these trailer tires. Yes it’s tempting cause the trucks will do it , but not recommended.

Keep in mind gents , and I have a diesel and a 31 foot 5th pulling a trailer @ 80 is not suggested. Ask the tires guys the recommended speed on these trailer tires. Yes it’s tempting cause the trucks will do it , but not recommended.

ok mom.

• Like 1

ok mom.

Lol I got your mom , let me know next time you’re sitting in a four hour traffic delay because of these idiots .Carry on and pull as fast as you’d like friend.

Pretty much same situation Im in. Ive settled on the Ford eco boost with max tow package which are holding their resale as well. New models come out in August so Ill be looking for deals on the 2018s.

Oh and Ill be selling my 2010 Tacoma for about the same price I bought it 3 years ago more likely.

• Like 1

I’m in a different boat , The big trailers are nice all the comforts of home etc, 31’-up , but are a real pain in the a$$ for hunting, trying to find a spot , low overhead etc . I want to get rid of mine and just get alitte 22-24 footer with the same Amenities without the headaches, and before I bought my beast I had a pop up . Good luck it’s a rockey road trying to find a good fit .

Well thanks for all the input. I dont usually concern myself with resale value of anything I own, I usually drive my vehicles until I have to pay someone to haul it off

I currently have a 1500 with a 5.7 HEMI. I like the truck, but if I upsize the trailer, Im in a pickle. I wasnt planning on upgrading the truck really (havent quite perfected the pinstripes on this one yet)

I found 2 power wagons I like. One is $30k/w 50k and the second is $21/ with 88 on it.

But the bigger question (since popular vote is diesel)...

Both diesels are right around $34k

A.)2006 megacab with 50k and 5.9 (electric gizmos, leather, moon roof) and 3.73 axles

B.)2014 crew cab, 75k 6.7L but has 3.42 axles,

Which one is a better deal. Im leaning towards the 2014 but those axle ratios arent very appealing. Any educational information on that stuff?

Well thanks for all the input. I dont usually concern myself with resale value of anything I own, I usually drive my vehicles until I have to pay someone to haul it off

I currently have a 1500 with a 5.7 HEMI. I like the truck, but if I upsize the trailer, Im in a pickle. I wasnt planning on upgrading the truck really (havent quite perfected the pinstripes on this one yet)

I found 2 power wagons I like. One is $30k/w 50k and the second is $21/ with 88 on it.

But the bigger question (since popular vote is diesel)...

Both diesels are right around $34k

A.)2006 megacab with 50k and 5.9 (electric gizmos, leather, moon roof) and 3.73 axles

B.)2014 crew cab, 75k 6.7L but has 3.42 axles,

Which one is a better deal. Im leaning towards the 2014 but those axle ratios arent very appealing. Any educational information on that stuff?

FWIW I'd probably go with the 2006...I love those Megacabs and I think you'll appreciate the axle...

Leave her at home in the kitchen where she belongs.

Ever made it back to camp to tired to cook? Bring the wife hunting and leave her in the kitchen where she belongs!
  • Like 1

I have not reread all.of this since my last.post.....but....

For the guys saying "dump the wife"....you guys would bitch about getting hanged with a new rope! Wife wants to buy him a new truck and trailer for comfortable hunting? And you want to ditch her? WTF is there to complain about???? She is a keeper in my book. Come back from hunting to a hot shower, hot meal, comfortable bed, and maybe a little lovin'? Win/win situation.

• Like 6

Pretty much same situation Im in. Ive settled on the Ford eco boost with max tow package which are holding their resale as well. New models come out in August so Ill be looking for deals on the 2018s.

Oh and Ill be selling my 2010 Tacoma for about the same price I bought it 3 years ago more likely.

You'll never hear a current or former Tacoma owner complain about their Tacoma. Perma grin from the day you buy to the day you put the money in your account after selling it for more than what you think is ethical. It's a different machine all together than what this thread is supposed to be about and certainly shouldn't be in the conversation.

For the guys saying "dump the wife"....you guys would bitch about getting hanged with a new rope! Wife wants to buy him a new truck and trailer for comfortable hunting? And you want to ditch her? WTF is there to complain about???? She is a keeper in my book. Come back from hunting to a hot shower, hot meal, comfortable bed, and maybe a little lovin'? Win/win situation.

Right there with you. My wife was the driving force in buying the trailer we have. Bigger than I wanted, but I wanted to make her happy so we bought it. And now, I love it!

What kind of maintenance are you doing that is costing you guys so much money?

I would say its more the upfront costs and the fixes that kill you then the maintenance. Yes oil changes are more expensive but thats not huge. I buy a new F150 eco boost max tow every two years. I put 99500 miles on them and then trade. The last one I got was $35200 off the lot. A comparable diesel woulda been just shy of $50,000. Thats almost $15,000 difference. If I trade every two years thats $7500 a year. I got ostracized on here for saying I spend $2000 a year on out of state tag applications as being a rich guy, I would say that anyone who owns a diesel spends far far more then that just to listen to it hum. Dont get me wrong there are people out there who truly need them, but I would say 99% if diesel owners dont. I pull probably 10,000 miles a year with mine. I farm part time so its anythkng from combine headers to seed wagons (15,000#) to my camper, but in my opinion I still dont pull enough to justify an extra $7500/yr in cost. If you break something on a diesel its gonna be $5-10k for literally anything in them. I see these guys talking about this motor or that and the say 6.4L is great you just have to do this delete and that bulletproofing. If Im gonna spend $50k for a pickup I better not have to take it to some aftermarket dude with a flat brim hat to spend another $10k to make it work. Thats my 2 cents on diesel!!! As my uncle (a lifetime mechanic) used to say. The three Ts of diesel: Trucks Tractors and Trains! (Dont get me started on pickup vs truck, we are referring to pickups here. Trucks have more then two axles.

you need 5 gasser oil changes by the time you need 1 diesel oil change. diesels especially 4x4 hold their value better than any gas truck. f150 has the worst resale value.

I change the oil every 5K on my diesel, 15qts. That is the factory recommendation, sure you can go longer but to do so you should add a bypass filter and do a UOA to see whats happening to the viscoscity, copper buildup etc.

a 2014 cummins factory recommendation is 15k miles.

Dang that's a loooong time. Even if that's what the factory says, I would never wait that long to change my oil in any vehicle.

Arizona has a divorce rate of almost 50%. A 50/50 chance that some here will meet that fate. Say goodbye to the camper trailer.

Standing in front of a Judge, and being ordered to sell, or give 50% of your assets away, including gun collections, in which she never invested a dime in.

Yeah....I got hung by a brand new rope, and I will bitch about it for a long time. Personally, I will never put myself in a position of losing anything to a woman again.