Sign in to follow this  
Siwash

Suggestions on a Welder for Hobby/Light Duty

My father is almost 71 years old and will be retiring next month. He has expressed an interest in welding and I'd like to get him a basic welder so he can tinker around with it, and not drive my mother and the rest of our family crazy with all of his free time. When he was younger he was a pretty legit mason for a hobby, but lugging around bricks and 80# sacks of concrete are no longer enjoyable for him.

He won't need anything industrial or be welding together trailer frames, etc. I doubt he would do more than tack together old pieces of steel for yard art, at least initially. 120V will be fine and something light/portable would be good as they have a summer place up north and I suspect he will want to shuttle it back and forth.

I'm looking at these models, if anyone has any experience or knows of a better "starter" set up please let me know. Also, aside from what these models provide, what else is needed? A helmet and some gloves?

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/lincoln-power-mig-140c-mig-welder-pkg-k2471-2

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/miller-millermatic-141-mig-welder-907612

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hobart-handler-140-mig-wire-welder

Thanks for looking.

I only buy miller (personal and work). I do have a hobart but that is basically a miller. Lincoln is fine but its a brand preference I guess. I would get the hobart and save unless unless it doesnt come with tank gauges (it should). Flux is fine as long as you can weld. Sometimes i prefer it when i am in a hurry or outside.

Miller is my choice. I have the 140amp 120v and love it. Great welder. Get an auto Darkening mask (not harbor freight crap).

He should be able to weld plenty with that.the duty cycle on the heavy stuff won't be as good as a bigger 230v machine, but a 115v machine is super useful and capable.

Make sure whatever you get has the fully adjustable setting knobs. The ones with A B C D E power settings are not as forgiving for a newer welder.

A good power source is a must too. A nice dedicated 20amp outlet for it goes a long way.

Something like this is great. Don't overlook Hobart which is owned by Miller and is often starts at a better price point.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/miller-millermatic-140-auto-set-mig-welder-907335

• Like 1

P.S. I also own a Lincoln 215 230v welder and it is nice, but has the A B C D E power settings which can be a pain.

Fluxcore isn't as bad as people say if you are doing good welds and cleaning them. Gas is nicer though but makes your welder less portable because now you need a cart and bottle.

My Miller 140v is fluxcore so it is more versatile. My big 230v machine is gas because it is to big to move alot.

Get a gas set up for sure. Flux core for outdoor use (wind). A fab table with a vise (or two), clamps, etc. make welding a whole lot easier. Welding is basically puddle watching. Make sure your dad has cheater lenses and any other aid to assure he is seeing the action. Leather too, getting burnt up by radiation is no fun.

• Like 2

For household projects the 120v welders work just fine. The Millermatic 135 is a great option. It is a little more forgiving if you dont have it set right. The Lincoln of the similar size is good too but it doesnt have the same level of settings as the Miller. One main advantage the Lincoln has over the Miller is Home Depot carries tips and nozzles for the Lincoln where you usually have to go to a welding shop to get stuff for the Miller products. I have used both quite a bit and they all get the job done. You also might look at Weldmark, they are made by Miller but a little less expensive, the gun even has Miller on the side.

Also, both the Millermatic and the Lincoln 130 or 135 can do both gas and flux, spend the money and get him a gas setup, much better to work with as others have already stated

Get him some cotton long sleeves. Leathers will kill a guy down there haha

I tried to get some welding done Easter morning before going to services. My cotton/nylon blend caught on fire. Normally when I catch on fire welding I can pat it out without missing a beat, but this time it got a little hot.

• Like 2