Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

Elk pastrami

10 days in brine and I pulled the roast this morning, after a good rinse and dry it was smothered in whole grain mustard. Next came the dry rub and then into the smoker for 2 hours at 250.

At this point internal temp was about 150 and it was time to wrap tight in foil and back on the smoker at 300 for another 2 hours. Final temp before pulling was 199 degrees.

To keep the story short after resting the roast was carved and sandwiches made, fresh rolls with Swiss and homemade Krout. Fresh thousand island dip and some steak fries and maybe a cold beer finished off dinner.

post-10379-0-18281800-1528860646_thumb.jpegpost-10379-0-78451700-1528860689_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

Really freekin good, you can see the cure didn't quite make it to the center and not sure why but you can't tell at all, tastes just like beef pastrami. Really good on its own and even better as a Reuben

• Like 2

That looks awesome! My wife makes corned elk/deer/antelope roasts. Not sure the difference but I like the cured look on this!! I dont think corned is smoked. Everything is better smoked!

That looks awesome! My wife makes corned elk/deer/antelope roasts. Not sure the difference but I like the cured look on this!! I dont think corned is smoked. Everything is better smoked!

Corned beef ain't smoked but once you add the season and smoke it is then pastrami.

I was never a fan of anything on a Reuben when I was younger. I worked at a sandwich shop and made a reuben when it was supposed to be a turkey reuben so it got sent back. We were slammed at the time and i was starvin so i took a few bites to hold myself over til it slowed down. I instantly had a new favorite sandwich to which in my mind has set the standard of what a reuben should taste like. Now I live in AZ and I'm chasing the dragon.

• Like 1

Mulepackhunter,

I have been making Corned Venison for years using the recipe on the LEM website.  Whole family loves it.   I bought the Cabela's pellet smoker and plan to make Pastrami this year.  Looking for tips, tricks, brine and rub recipes if you don't mind sharing.  

I usually use smaller roasts but on a larger one maybe inject brine so that the center cures?

Eric

Corned Venison

14.jpg

Ingredients:

• 2 1/2 quart Water
  • 6 tablespoon Morton Tender Quick
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon Pickling Spice
  • 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
  • 5 lb Venison, large solid cuts deboned

Directions:

Combine one pint of the water with Tender Quick, brown sugar, pickling spice, and garlic powder in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir until dissolved. Pour into a large food grade plastic container and add the rest of the water. When cool, add the meat and cover tightly with a lid. Refrigerate at least five, up to seven days, turning once every day. To cook, rinse the meat well and place in a large pot. Add one tablespoon of pickling spice to water, if desired. Cover with water and cook covered at a simmer for three to four hours. Freeze uncooked corned venison by placing desired amounts in vacuum seal bags. Remove excess liquid before sealing.

Pickling spice =

corriander seeds

mustard seeds

black peppercorns

bay leaves

ground mace

whole cloves

ground ginger

cinnimon stick

sugar

salt

curing salt or pink salt

i would suggest brining for 14 days before smoking, I've been buying eye of round at Costco and doing those and they are very good. It's really hard to get this wrong other than over cooking and going super dry. 

Note that this brine works really well on whole chickens also , I brine those overnight then grill for 20 minutes per side splayed out with backbone removed "spatchcock "