Sign in to follow this  
lonne

Always Good Idea to Watch for Changing Regs

What is occurring with mountain lion populations in Arizona that lead AZGFD to make a change to lion season? Are there any other notable changes I might be missing? Thanks in advance.

Perhaps something with kittens and nursing, but I didn't catch the full details.

Normally, lion season is 1 lion per hunter per year. I do not have previous regs in front of me but I believe it is something like July 1 of previous year to June 30 of the following year.

Well, there has been a change. For 2018 to 2019, lion season does not go continuously throughout the year. Instead, lion season runs from Aug 24 of this year to May 31 of next year. Therefore after June 30 of this year/month, there will be a lull until August 24th.

There are also harvest limits in each zone, and a call in number, similar to bear.

Good luck hunting, everyone!
Lonne

My guess would be that its in response to the attempt to take cat hunting away from game and fish control this year showing more control gives them a stronger foundation for maintaining their own management of the species

• Like 3

So having a lion tag in your pocket whenever you go out not specifically for lion, isn't good enough now. If hunting deer, elk, javelina...etc, you better make sure, prior to pulling the trigger that the harvest objective hasn't been met in the zone your hunting.

Seems they added an extra step to the random opportunity. Interesting. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

• Like 1

"Being closed during fawning season sure sucks." <<<< my thoughts exactly.

• Like 2

This was not a scientific or biologically based rule change... just the department giving in to the antis

• Like 5

I dont really follow the lion regs but I thought most of this has been for a few yrs now? They added the bag limits but also increased the yearly bag limits?

• Like 1

Havent some units been like that since the day long and day light shooting hour rule started?

Some units had the multi-tag limit where you could kill more than 1 per year (1 per day I think) until whatever limit was reached, then it was 1 per year. This is more like bear where the unit is closed once the limit is reached.
  • Like 1

So having a lion tag in your pocket whenever you go out not specifically for lion, isn't good enough now. If hunting deer, elk, javelina...etc, you better make sure, prior to pulling the trigger that the harvest objective hasn't been met in the zone your hunting.

Seems they added an extra step to the random opportunity. Interesting. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Exactly. Ill probably never buy another lion tag just in case...unless I ever actually decide to go out specifically for lion.
  • Like 2

Hasn't it been this way for sometime?

COA,

No - it has not been this way for sometime. But I am not sure I understood your question, exactly.

Not sure what "has been this way for sometime." Please elaborate.

As far as lion season goes, in the 2017 - 2018 regulations and all regulations in years prior (2016 - 2017, 2015 - 2016, 2014 - 2015, etc. etc. and so on, all previous years) it was year long July 1 to June 30 (so yes, if that is what you meant - it has been that way for a long time). In the 2018 - 2019 regulations, it's changing to Aug 24 to May 31. This is a big change.

Example: the current lion season is July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018. It has been this way every year for years, so basically a non-stop open lion season with 1 bag limit per year per hunter. And one unit even had a multiple bag limit b/c of threats to the sheep population.

But, on June 30, 2018, this annual non-stop hunting season for mountain lion will end and the season will shorten a few summer of months of the year. From July 1, 2018 to Aug 23, 2018, mountain lion season will be closed. This is for the first time since I can remember. I don't remember when lion season was ever not year long, but some of the older hunting veterans on this site may remember and chime in.

Additionally, there will be "harvest limits", and when reached the season will close. We will have to call in, in advance, just like for bear hunting, to determine if the season is still open.

Lonne

• Like 1