Sign in to follow this  
Guest akaspecials

Lee's Ferry Mid June/Early July

I have never had a problem leaving my truck at the ramp, as far as Lures we used 90% of the time Mepps spinners, Gold blade, Black body with Yellow dots, or Gold Z Rays.

Only time I fished Lees Ferry was in June a few years ago. We brought fly fishing rigs and spinning tackle. We were a couple weeks too early for the cicada hatch when I went. It was a bachelor party so the patience for the fly rods went right out the window and switched to spinners. Absolutely slayed them with 1/8 oz gold colored Kastmasters with rainbow trout and brown trout markings. Just cruised down the river in kayaks casting into eddies and pulling out countless fish all day every day. Nothing giant but no one else we saw was catching anything of size on that trip regardless of tackle.

I was there two weeks ago, fishing is good, and the fish are big and healthy. Headed back this Friday. Get a #9 (3/8 oz) Panther Martin, in black with a gold blade, or the orange and yellow one in the same size. Only lures I used for two days. Use light line, 4 or 6 lb, and have fun. Your truck will be fine at the launch, Park Rangers are in and out, and some river runners are usually there as well.

Can you take a bass boat on the river?

I have taken a bass tracker a few times. If you are careful it is fine. I am not careful and took some chunks out of my prop. I would be hesitant to take a fiberglass boat up. Fishing in the walk-in section is actually really good.

• Like 1

Used to work up there doing fish surveys but not for Game and Fish . Anyways there is great fishing all the way down from the dam. Just below the dam there are some springs where Walleye like to hang out caught quite a few of them electrofishing. The best place along the stretch to fish for browns is just below Duck Island on the inside channel, if the park service and others haven't decided to remove them . This is where they do their spawning . Be sure to check for PIT tags in the fish if you decide to take them to eat, they should fall out from the gut cavity when you clean them but sometimes the tags get embedded into the meat of the fish. Bass boats are fine , i have seen all types of boats going up river including fiberglass. Never had a problem catching them on olive or black woolys.

Park service checked us at the fish clean station Saturday, inquiring about Browns. Said they are considering a bounty program on them to encourage fisherman to kill them rather than release them. He didnt know all the details, but asked if that would get me to participate. I release every Brown I catch unless gill hooked, if I need some fish to eat I keep the 'bows as they are like rabbits up there. The Browns get big and mean, nice thrill when you latch into one.

• Like 1

Park service checked us at the fish clean station Saturday, inquiring about Browns. Said they are considering a bounty program on them to encourage fisherman to kill them rather than release them. He didnt know all the details, but asked if that would get me to participate. I release every Brown I catch unless gill hooked, if I need some fish to eat I keep the 'bows as they are like rabbits up there. The Browns get big and mean, nice thrill when you latch into one.

I feel the same. I strongly encouraged my first time guest last weekend to release a big old brown and he was rewarded with another a day later just yards upstream. This immediately alleviated the 'I can't believe you told me to's.

Until the rainbow population starts to decrease and quality increases, I honestly think it is (or at least has been) the best thing for the fishery to release browns and keep a rainbow or two. I also quickly noticed that the new flow regime has significantly improved the forage base the last couple months. I couldn't have a more optimistic view of the ferry if they continue on this path. My overnight anchor was spilling scuds of all sizes in the boat every morning.

I'm young(ish) and I understand this is not anything like the hay day of Lees, but this was hands down the best fishery I have seen in my 7 years of going there. Our average fish crushed my Lees PB. We caught dozens of fish over 19" on hoppers with shallow droppers, deep double nymph rigs and spin gear.

• Like 2