CatfishKev

Backpacking on a budget

Mule pack pretty much sums it up. I would add versatility. I am a stomach sleeper and tend to flop around. A mummy bag feels like a coffin to me. Rectangular bags are out due to weight and size.. A quilt is a perfect blend for me. Mine has a zippered foot box and a draw sting at the end. I can close it up if it's cold, if it's warmer then I can open the whole thing up and use it as a blanket. It also compacts down to the size of a football as a bonus.

There are a few manufacturers out there to shop around if interested. Go to enlightened equipments website to get a better understanding of the use. You tube is full of videos about quilts some done by hunters but most are hippy granola eaters or chicks with hairy pits.

Pad- Lightweight foam. Should be around 10 dollars at Walmart or Bass pro. I've never seen a thermarest/inflatable pad that got actual use hold air longer than 4 or 5 years. Throw that foam pad on the ground or in the bottom of your hammock for some extra warmth at night. This also doubles as my pad to glass from. I build a sort of lounge chair using my backpack as my back rest and my foam pad for my butt. I adjust the tripod and can pretend I'm glassing from a lazy boy.

Tent- Unless it will rain, tents are just extra weight. Learn to sleep on the ground if snakes aren’t an issue, or sleep in a hammock if they are. Throw a cheap tarp and some paracord in so you have protection from the elements if you need it.

On the pad -

I've had my 2 Thermarest classic's for 18 and 14 years. The first one I use has 3 patches it and still going strong for my son who has in inherited it after outgrowing my wife's shorty. Both still see regular action and end up as loaners often. Those Classic's are light but large in size, so they were always strapped on the outside, which was the only reason they ended up with needing patched. Those Classic's are still more comfortable and way quieter than my $180 Sea to Summit, just doesn't compress down half as much. If you can grunt out a foam pad Marine Corp style... go for foam. I bought that Thermarest when I was 22 and dang near turned around at the register not wanting to pinch off $80 at the time. The 1st time I used it, I instantly knew it was worth 10 times what I paid for it. I sleep better on them than I do my own bed to this day.

Tent -

There are times where I've been out in the summer while scouting and you could not have paid me enough to hand over my tent. Heck, that goes back to when a top notch 3-4 season backpack tent weight 7.5pnds. It's not all the time, but it's plenty enough of the time, that tents will 100% save a trip due to bugs alone. Throw in the occasional crap weather... and you are in for some serious suffer if you don't have a place to hide or stay dry when mother nature throws it's best at you. No thanks.

Tents, sleeping pads, boots, backpacks, sleep systems are GOLD. If you have those ironed out - you are in good shape. Everything else will work itself out with experience.

Not saying you're wrong akaspecials. Far from it. You're just a tough flippin hombre!!! Lol...

• Like 2

My thermarest NeoAir Xtherm Max cost $180 but worth every penny. Warmest ultralight pad in the market. Buy once, cry once. Weighs a pound, 5.7 r value and packs down to the size of a can of beer. 👍

• Like 1

Also, if you are a side sleeper like me and want a down bag, check out the Nemo bags. Specifically made for side sleepers. Highly recommend!

Another good source for gear reviews is Outdoor Gear Lab. Great real world tests and reviews. They review everything

• Like 3

Quilt vs bag, basically you are gaining the warmth of the down you compress under your body. So you also gain the weight of the down or fabric that is now not under your body.

This is going over my head a bit. Are you saying you don't use the quilt underneath of you and only on top? Or that the quilt does not compress as much as the down?

Quilt vs bag, basically you are gaining the warmth of the down you compress under your body. So you also gain the weight of the down or fabric that is now not under your body.

This is going over my head a bit. Are you saying you don't use the quilt underneath of you and only on top? Or that the quilt does not compress as much as the down?

Yes the quilt just goes on top of you (and sides tucked in). Usually there is a foot box to keep feet inside. Just make sure if you go with a quilt to get a quality, warm pad.

• Like 1

Curtis is right on. My quilt comes with straps you put around your pad in two locations, roughly hip and shoulder areas. The quilt clips to it to keep it from falling off and eliminates drafts if it's cold. Except for your legs from your knees down, foot box if its closed, you are actually sleeping directly on the pad. I have the xtherm and I love it. A bit crunchy but when you pass out from hunting hard you won't notice it and it's warm. Been out when it was in the teens at night and was fine.

Guest akaspecials

This quilt idea sounds awesome. How well do they keep the wind out and how warm are they when wet? What temps are you going down to them in?

Numero uno recommendation would be to find out what your physical limits are when carrying weight and then work on gear from there. How many pounds are you comfortable to hump over ___ miles and ____ elevation gain, and then hunt? Are you packing in to a base camp or planning to stay mobile by moving camp each morning?

I'm not sure how or why you guys put up with bivy's. Single person tents are within a few ounces without spending big money and are 100 times more comfortable, especially in bad weather. My favorite line of tents right now for 1/2/3 person are the REI Passage and are excellent for the money.

It's such a large topic and everyone has their things they are or aren't willing to compromise on. You can save big if you're ok to sleep on the egg crate foam style pads that can be had for $10 or so. Take the money saved there and apply it to better quality packs. Need something with more cush... there's not a better dollar spent than on a Thermarest or comparable mattress.

Kelty is never a bad option and you can pretty much outfit your family top to bottom with their gear and not have any major regrets. All around solid value and performance.

The more weight you are willing to hump - the less money you'll have to spend. There's a very personal balance of what you're willing to leave behind whether it's comfort or safety related. As an example: many will say that if you have something in your pack that you don't use on 3-6 trips, leave it. Well... there goes your first-aide kit most likely. Mine is hefty as far as most go and I rarely go into it, but there's zero chance it will ever stay behind.

Best bet Kev, is to connect with someone that has been backpacking for a few years and get them to do a bag dump with you. Bug them every time you have a question till they are annoyed. Anyone that's been doing it for a while will give you the pro's and con's of what they have in their kit. Ulta-light is a sufferfest and ultra-heavy is a sufferfest. But what's light to one person can easily be heavy for another and visa versa...

+1 on Kelty. I don't know how they might have changed over the years (positive or negative). But I've always found them to be relatively affordable to other brands with good quality.

This quilt idea sounds awesome. How well do they keep the wind out and how warm are they when wet? What temps are you going down to them in?

Dont get it wet whatever you do. Down + water = cold night.

Guest akaspecials

Dont get it wet whatever you do. Down + water = cold night.

Been there and done that. That's when I went synthetic. There is a hydrophobic coating they are putting on some down now to make it "waterproof". I haven't tried it yet.

If it helps for ideas on what you might need... my gear list for backpacking (I dont backpack hunt):

ULA Circuit Pack

Therm-a-rest NeoAir Xtherm Pad

Nemo Salsa 15° Bag

Exped Air Pillow

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 Tent

BRS 25g Titanium Stove

Toaks 750ml Titanium Cup

Outdoor Reserarch Down Jacket and Rain Gear

Merrell Moab Mid Gore Tex Boots

For Clothes I wear Cabelas Guide Wear Shirts and Pants 100% Nylon SPF 40

Meals - Mountain House / Packit Gourmet

Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter

Smart Water Bottles for Holding Water

Cascade Mountain Trekking Poles

Morakniv Companion Knife

Coast Headlamp

Lighter or Flint and a few Trioxane bars

Im probably forgetting stuff, but those are the basics

• Like 2

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/4 is this a good deal?

If I go the quilt route, should I look at an r value for the pad? What value would I be looking for?

Are you planning cool weather trips? Around freezing at night? If you go quilt I would want a pad with a good r value. Mine is a 5.7 but I backpack a lot when temps at night are at or below freezing.

For now I'm thinking Sept, October trips. High country. I saw that one has a 1.something r value. Didn't know if r ratings were on all of them.