CatfishKev

Backpacking on a budget

I borrowed that klymeit pad once it blows. There no cheating backpacking gear . If it’s worth a damm it’s expensive.

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/4 is this a good deal?

If I go the quilt route, should I look at an r value for the pad? What value would I be looking for?

Yes, it's a good deal. I have this pad and like it. It inflates with 10 breaths and packs down small. It's not insulated, so mild weather only. I have an Exped Synmat for colder weather, which is too hot for mild nights.

Yup $ vs weight is what it all comes down to. YT has been great. Already been cruising CL for good used stuff. Think I'm covered on packs and boots for myself. Any recommendations on gear for the kids that's a good value?

How would you describe order of importance? 1. Boots 2. Pack 3. Tent 4. Bag 5. Pad or would you say level across the board?

Thanks for the responses.

I rate those as even across the board. Good boots, pack and shelter are a must. Good sleeping bags are water resistant and if they do get wet they are still warm, and the zippers dont break. I have had tents fail and your hunt is over. After you spend time in a heated shelter you will never go back to a standard tent. Just picture yourself 7 to 12 miles in and a storm is coming in as you are putting your pack on your back and by the next morning its below zero (wind chill) and 6 + inches of snow on the ground, the storm last for three days and when you come back to camp wet and tired you start a fire in your stove and the shelter heats right up to 70 degrees. You can cook on it and hang your clothes up since they will be wet, then in the morning you are dry and warm in stead of putting frozen clothes back on. Just my 2 cents.

Going back through and rereading closer and doing searches... These tipis are awesome! Cimarron with the stove I think is what I would want to work up to. Amazing how light it is with a stove still!

My thermarest NeoAir Xtherm Max cost $180 but worth every penny. Warmest ultralight pad in the market. Buy once, cry once. Weighs a pound, 5.7 r value and packs down to the size of a can of beer.

I hate no words more than buy once cry once. With 5 kids I cry all the time regardless. But still that sounds like a great pad!

Kifaru makes a sawtooth with stove also that rocks, I don't own one but slept in one. I do have a lite outdoors titanium stove for my 10x10 lodge tent and its money for cold weather. Also Kifaru has the new tut that's close to the sawtooth and cimarron.

I too dream of a tipi, I think that's the last tent I would like.

I'm headed for the Kifaru 8 man and already have a stove so I would be set for 3 guys on late season hunts

• Like 2

Yup $ vs weight is what it all comes down to. YT has been great. Already been cruising CL for good used stuff. Think I'm covered on packs and boots for myself. Any recommendations on gear for the kids that's a good value?

How would you describe order of importance? 1. Boots 2. Pack 3. Tent 4. Bag 5. Pad or would you say level across the board?

Thanks for the responses.

I rate those as even across the board. Good boots, pack and shelter are a must. Good sleeping bags are water resistant and if they do get wet they are still warm, and the zippers dont break. I have had tents fail and your hunt is over. After you spend time in a heated shelter you will never go back to a standard tent. Just picture yourself 7 to 12 miles in and a storm is coming in as you are putting your pack on your back and by the next morning its below zero (wind chill) and 6 + inches of snow on the ground, the storm last for three days and when you come back to camp wet and tired you start a fire in your stove and the shelter heats right up to 70 degrees. You can cook on it and hang your clothes up since they will be wet, then in the morning you are dry and warm in stead of putting frozen clothes back on. Just my 2 cents.
Going back through and rereading closer and doing searches... These tipis are awesome! Cimarron with the stove I think is what I would want to work up to. Amazing how light it is with a stove still!

I was all set on the Cimarron. My second son will be born next month and my hunting partner has a little boy, add in my dad and it looks like kifaru 8 man tipi for me.

My backpacking gear all come from Walmart or craigslist, half the time we just throw are pads and Walmart 35 dollar 45 deg bags on the ground if its cold we use bag liners and a cheap Walmart tent, the only thing I dont skimp on is water filter, if your just starting or I wouldnt recommend spending a lot of money it always sounds like its a great idea tell your 3 days in and 12 miles from the truck, get some decent used gear take a few 1-2 day trips just to see if its for you, I have seen guys pay 1000 bucks for equipment then sissy out 2 days into the trip, or just find a guy like this and buy his gear.

• Like 2

I wanna go floorless with a bivy bad but for some reason I think Im going to be sleeping next to rattlesnakes.

It happens more than you think

• Like 2

I wanna go floorless with a bivy bad but for some reason I think Im going to be sleeping next to rattlesnakes.

It happens more than you think

Dont say that.

Ive been on a tarp and bivy kick the last few years. In bad weather a 4 season bivy . Other wise use a mesh bug bivy. I did just pick up a jimmy tarps granite mountain that I’ll test for 3 days at chevlon next weekend.

Looks like we have a few bivy fans around here.

Now I am a fat 50 year old guy and not as adaptable as I was in my twenties. With that said, I have never felt claustrophobia until I tried to ride a storm out in a bivy a few years back. That night, I had to choose what I wanted to keep dry with me in the bivy and what to leave out in the rain.
I couldn't move much in the bivy and began to feel like I was suffocating. It got to be like chinese water torture and I had to bail. I took what I could and dropped off the mountain. I came back the next day. While hunting my way back to my camp. Had some Muleys at a little over one hundred and twenty yards in front of me, but my shooting sticks were back at the camp. Without my sticks, I couldn't achieve a stable enough position to take a shot.

An extra pound or so for a bigger tent and I would have been just fine. At this point in my life, I'll take a tent over a bivy, but that's just the opinion of a fat 50 year old who doesn't get out there as much as I did in my twenties.

• Like 2

There's an outdoor research bivy on CL right now for around 145 I think. Bivys do have their appeal in the right situation. If money was no object id go tipi but for now its gonna be tents for me.

My first backpack tent was the eureka solo, good sized one man and pretty light. I road out a 2 day storm in it and only hit the edge ounce or twice. Hahha

I'm able to wedge everything in it with me and have room to move a little.

I stick my bow in between the fly and nest just leaning it against the nest.

69.00 bucks online new and I still have it and use it every year.

• Like 1