Sign in to follow this  
leilacl

Will bears return when spooked at water?

Hey all,

I'm wanting to know how easily, or not, a bear will be spooked out of his area. I'm doing my first ever bear hunt and I've had two good bears on camera. They're in an area that has one [known] water source, and they have been hitting it hard for the last two weeks when I started setting up my cameras. They have consistently come in at 7am and 7pm. Well yesterday was my first day out hunting, and one came in (around 6:30pm) but left when, I think, it either heard or smelled us. He just walked off, didn't panic.

This morning, my big black one came in, appeared to know something wasn't right but proceeded to drink. I was able to get my pin on him, but he took off when my a cell phone's camera function went off. He ran hard and fast.

I know very little about bear behavior, so in your opinions, are these bears gone for good? Do they spook easily? I feel blessed for even having the honor of pulling back on him, but I'm scared they might be done with that area.

Hoping for positive, helpful feedback. Thanks!

post-15139-0-76249800-1529429753_thumb.jpg

post-15139-0-30848200-1529429877_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Depends, if he can get water elsewhere he may. That may not be a given though.

I have spooked bears and found them right back the next weekend.

• Like 2

Your area had the right combination of food and water at a time when it isn't easy to find, stay positive, you are in a great spot for those 2 or the next new bear(s)!

• Like 4

With the right feed, water they usually stay put, hopefully they come back.

• Like 1

Yes they will. I've scared bears off multiple times...they ALWAYS come back.

• Like 1

bears are very smart and tough, they know whats a threat or not. bears hunt and eat fishes so they will sure be back.

Capitalization, punctuation, grammar, and a modicum of common sense. Try it, for the love of Pete.

Bears are very smart and tough. They know what's a threat or not. Bears hunt and eat fish (from a trick tank???) so they will surely be back.

• Like 2