Desert muley

Bill Quimby

I had posted about Bill's condition on my FB page this morning, and Amanda let me know about this thread here.

Yesterday I posted the following on a different hunting site that Bill and I have been contributing to for about 15 years. It's similar to what I wrote on FB today.

"Although Bill is a couple years older than me, he and I go back a long way. We have often had private discussions here and on other sites because we both shared many of the same medical issues and the medications to treat them.

Ironically, we had such a discussion here only a few weeks ago, and those messages were still in my Private messaging area.

The last thing I said to him in that exchange was, "Stay well, my friend." So this latest news both saddens me and also shows just how mortal we are."

So now with the latest news, I send condolences to Bill's wife, Jean, and the rest of the family. He will no doubt be in a better place.

• Like 3

I have relayed all of your kind words and thoughts to the Quimby/Greene family.Bill passed peacefully early this morning.

When I was living in Tucson, I looked forward to reading Bill's outdoor column with eager anticipation. He had the knack (no doubt developed through a lot of hard work and self-discipline) of writing like he knew you personally, and writing like it was an everyday conversation. He also knew, and wrote about, the Arizona that used to be - the same one Jack O'Connor was writing about when he referred to Tucson as " . . .a beautiful, interesting small city of 50,000 people. . ."

This is a sad day for Arizona and the outdoor community, and I know one of personal sadness for those of us on the CWT.com Forum. Another legend of the outdoor writing world, Pat McManus passed in April. He was also a gifted and talented writer who contributed enormously not only to hunting, fishing and other outdoor pursuits, but who knew how to make people laugh, and enjoyed doing it. I never met either man, but am grateful for having been able to read their work, and benefit from their positive influence, and the knowledge and values they shared.

forepaw

• Like 3

I have relayed all of your kind words and thoughts to the Quimby/Greene family.Bill passed peacefully early this morning.

Thank you Desert Muley for passing along our thoughts and prayers to the family and letting us know that he passed peacefully this morning.

Godspeed Bill. You will be missed. Such a loss to our hunting community. Thank you, sir, for all your many contributions over so many decades. He was a true sportsman and such a great advocate for hunting.

• Like 8

20+ years ago, I was interviewed by Bill and he wrote a column about me.

To run into him, talk to him, and have lunch with him many years later was an amazing experience for me.

Rest well Bill.

• Like 3

Sad to read the news this afternoon. Rest in peace Bill.

• Like 1

Very sad news. Best wishes to his family. His CWT family will miss him too.

• Like 1