Desert muley

Bill Quimby

Bill Quimby will be missed by many but never forgotten. RIP my friend. My wife and I send our deepest condolences to his wife Jean, family, and friends.

TJ

• Like 1

Condolences to his wife and family. I read his articles for years, here in Tucson. Always liked the man.

Keep that campfire burning Bill. See you on the other side!

• Like 4

Bill was a gentleman and class act. Not many men could fulfill a life with adventure as well as he. May his legacy live on. My deepest condolences go out to his family.

• Like 3

I was lucky enough to meet him once...very briefly as I delivered some ammo (an obscure caliber I'd never seen before...probably for African game) to him from another CWT member. Very kind man who took time to chat with me and even shared a quick story.

• Like 2

Wishing strength and serenity to Bill's wife Jean, all of his family members and too the many who are feeling the loss of his passing...God speed Bill......

• Like 2

RIP to Mr. Quimby. My sincere condolences to his friends and loved ones. Never had the pleasure to meet him but I respected his advice and experience. We are going to miss his perspective. God Bless!

• Like 2

Bill Mattausch, Jr. asked me to post this for him:

Tucson, In the 70's and 80's was the pinnacle of what an outdoor section, in a newsprinted paper could achieve... Accomplished Outdoorsmen, and Authors like, Bill Quimby, Tom Foust, and Pete Cowgill, every week on Thursdays and Sundays, all had great stories of hunts, Trail hikes, and game department news, and fishing reports. It was so good you could not wait to buy the paper on those days, and Circkle K's would be sold out, and you needed to check a few stores to get a paper. One of the biggest achievements, I remember (other than the 1969 moon shot,) as a kid at wetmore elementary school was when our Cousin Jim Stough, got back from veit nam in 1972 and shot a 116" typical Couse buck on the backside of the catalinas ...Bill Quimby and Tom Foust, had storys and a picture of the monster buck. they used too do that in newspapers, kids, really. Jimmy Englemans taxidermy shop would be used a few more times for our familys pictures, and storys of hunts , to be shared for articles by Bill Quimby that respected and honored the tradition. He Safari hunted Africa several times , and was a leading authority on the Continent, and was a world famous writer for the Safari Club Internaional...and a very good and loyal friend, to my father, Bill Mattausch Sr. and Az hunt Hall of Famers , Jimmy Engleman , John Doyle , and the Levy Brothers, Jim and Seymore... Truly, Greer, and Tucson, has lost another Star Treasure...May strength be to his wife, of Care and Grace, "Jean" ...

" And Tom Mix wept"...

• Like 4

I reached out to Bill the day he passed, not knowing his health was nearing an end and asked if he minded if I come to visit. Unfortunately his health was much more serious than I knew. His grandson text me and informed me Bill had passed away. RIP Bill!

TJ

• Like 2

I didn't see this thread until now, but heard the news. Indeed Bill was a great guy! Purchased one of his books and now sounds like a great time to read. My memory of Bill was following his many posts on here. Then one weekend several years ago I was out elk hunting and ran into him by accident as we were both driving down a less traveled small road opposite directions mid-day, couldn't do much but stop and talk. When he told me who he was I instantly knew and was excited to meet in person. He gave me some good tips and shared stories of how his hunt was going, and we were both not having much luck but working hard. It was a cow elk hunt and all we were seeing was big bulls (when usually all we see are cows everywhere). We were laughing miserably about it. I ran into him a 2nd time on that hunt, and we were both going home empty handed, but we had some really good stories to swap. God bless his soul.

• Like 1

I am proud to say that I have known Bill close to 40 years. I first met him at his daughter Stephanie's wedding an I was a coworker of the groom, I soon moved to Louisiana where I spent 7 years hunting and fishing in the Bayous and swamps. When I returned to Tucson I was reunited with the family when I was invited on a dove hunt with Bill and Robert Greene. Rob and I then became hunting partners for the next 30 years, We loved to go to Greer and stay at the cabin. We would go up in the spring and open the cabin for Turkey hunts then go back in the fall for elk hunts and close it up for winter. I spent more days and nights there than I can count. I always enjoyed hearing Bill tell of his adventures. Some of my favorite hunts with Bill are a couple of cow elk hunts that he guided for me and my then 14 year old son. Bill showed my where and how to kill a turkey.I remember one turkey hunt where I was on crutches due to a sports injury but the three of us still managed to hang some French doors. He was a unique individual and will be missed

• Like 3