Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Synthetics vs wool

I always thought wool was king when it came to clothes. Do synthetics keep you warm when wet? Also when it comes to buying synthetics what do you recomend? I used to wear cotton socks everyday in normal life then wore a merino liner on the last hunt. I couldn't believe the difference in how my feet felt. Now I buy moisture wicking socks but it seems they are still no match for the wool socks.

• Like 1

I bought into the wool idea and have a fair amount of wool garments. I wear them alot but also have alot of synthetic stuff and I find myself wearing the wool stuff less and less unless I'm gonna be wearing it for days on end and the temperatures don't get too high. For three days or less I think I prefer synthetics. I wear wool socks alot too but I feel like after one day in then they kind of stiffen up a bit and just aren't as comfortable to me as synthetic socks on steep grades. Kuiu makes some really thin wool base layers and those are about the only wool base layers I can handle for most of the year. I do enjoy my wool garments from late November through January though. Mid November and earlier is synthetics for me.

I made the switch to Smartwool hiking socks many years ago, after the recommendation of a former boss. They don't stink like synthetic socks do (not as bad, anyway). I then switched to the Smartwool liner socks after using synthetic liners. I used them when I was working on wildfires and they're all I use for hiking and hunting. Since I've made that switch, that's all I've used and will use. About a decade ago, I bought into Under Armour and stopped using my wool insulating layers. UA keeps me warm, but there's the stink factor after a long day. I'm debating on getting rid of all my UA tops and bottoms and using my pro deal to get either First Lite or Helly Hansen wool insulation layers. They wick the moisture and, therefore, the stink, away much better than synthetics. And wool generally still keeps you warm when it gets wet. I've never had synthetics still keep me warm.

I made the switch to synthetic years ago. My brother is an avid climber mountaineer and he showed me the way. I have been wearing fleece coats for years and wether its at 7000 feet in a all day snow or a Southern AZ fall drizzle I keep dry and warm. Fleece sheds water better than wool and dries faster also lighter. One downside is you need a wind barrier either built in or in some kind of wind breaking shell. Never wear or think about wool for 30 plus years.

The quick answer is both depending on the situation. Synthetics wick better and are durable but will stink up quick. Wool doesn't dry out as fast and isn't as durable but absorbs odors and still insulates when wet. That said I wear wool socks year round. I wish Cabela's or someone made a thin version of their Microtex in solid colors for outdoor activities. That honestly is the best of both worlds for cool/ cold weather clothes.

• Like 2

I wear darn tough wool sock year around. Bridgedale sock liners as soon as my hunting boots go on and they are the most comfortable shoes and sock set up i own.

I dont like synthetics due to odor but like all the other qualities. When I hunt I wear kuiu merino wool it seems to work well in all situations for me.

I have a bunch of pairs of Smartwool socks but they have mostly shrunk and the elastic tops get pretty tight as the day wears on so it's time to get some new ones as soon as I find them on sale that is.

The best socks I have found are the bass pro redhead brand. They are the real thick ones. Gray in color. I know a few years ago they were 9.99 a pair. With a lifetime guarantee. Not sure on price now. Only have had two pairs go bad on me and that was from a puppy getting ahold of them. The rest I still wear and I can barely tell the difference between the ones I got 9 years ago and the ones I got 5 years ago. And for quite a few years pretty much wore them year round. And comfortable enough to not have to wear a liner.

Googled the socks after posting this. The socks are 11.99 a pair now. 81% wool 17% stretch nylon 2% spandex.

• Like 2

Have you guys seen many wool blends that are ok with shorts?

check out darn tough they offer alot of options for style and thickness.

Have you guys seen many wool blends that are ok with shorts?

I use a smart wool cut off from REI that work well with shorts and in the heat. They have a thicker pad on the ball and heel with thinner parts so it doesn't heat up. I've had them for more than a five years now and still holdin up

I have worn 90% wool 10% nylon for elastic for nearly 20 years and not had athletes foot 1 time since i started.. I was plagued with athletes foot until i managed some Red Wing boot stores and had my boss open my eyes to wool. I loved it when I worked at our store that was over by 74th Avenue and Thomas by the mall over there. I would have cotton Farmers come in there to buy boots and I would talk them into trying a pair of wool socks by giving it to them for free they would swear that they would never buy wool because there are cotton farmer but everytime after I gave them a pair of wool socks that same cotton farmer would come back and buy at least a dozen Parrish :-) if you can convince a cotton farmer to buy wool socks for $18 a pair should be testimony enough. 👍 what you don't want to buy is cheap wool socks that are like half acrylic they make your feet stink and make your feet sweat and you will get fungal issues it is not at all like wearing Merino wool

By the way Bass Pro Shop has a awesome wool sock that I wear that has lifetime warranty. You wear holes in the socks you take them back and they give you brand new socks.

Wool underlayer, synthetic outer layers.

Im a huge fan of smart wool, and I have some nice wool sweaters too. I just ordered a Pendleton wool shirt too. But I like synthetic for jackets and pants.

• Like 1

Wool underlayer, synthetic outer layers.

Im a huge fan of smart wool, and I have some nice wool sweaters too. I just ordered a Pendleton wool shirt too. But I like synthetic for jackets and pants.

My Pendleton western wool shirt with the pearl snaps is my favorite shirt hanging in my closet. Keeps me cozy through a very wide range of temps. I need to find another when they go on sale.

• Like 1