Sign in to follow this  
3BOYZAZ

2018 antler growth

I've never seen a drought year affect antler growth as much as this year. 3c is struggling. But having a tag is much better than not.

I'm 80-90% sure this is the same bull but didnt catch it right away for obvious reasons

In the bottom right pic your hand looked like 2 bears jumping for a second.

I've never seen a drought year affect antler growth as much as this year. 3c is struggling. But having a tag is much better than not.

I'm 80-90% sure this is the same bull but didnt catch it right away for obvious reasons

he's giving up 30"s, no?

I remember hearing about a study that claimed bulls can lose up to 10 percent of antler growth on a drought year. This year being so dry, there is no doubt that horn growth will be down. There is no way it couldn't be. If they don't have the same nutrition, they can't put on the same growth...seems logical to me. Still would like to have a tag though!

There are a ton of people saying how bad antler growth is going to be. I don't think it is going to be awesome but I don't think it is going to be nearly as bad as everyone has made it out to be. The winter was very mild. The critters were in awesome shape going into the winter and there was a bunch of food from the previous year for them to munch on. It won't be a banner year but I think there are going to be a bunch of really great bulls shot this year.

I'm seeing quite a few bulls that just about every hunter in the woods would shoot opening day with any weapon. The only way I would turn a tag back in is if I had max points and drew an early rifle tag for a mega premium unit. Other than that I would enjoy the season. So here is a prediction. The rut will be great this year. Much better than last year.

• Like 1

based on what I am seeing in unit 8, I'd say the sooner the bull's development the better they'll finish. Lots of bulls looked on par going into the month of June, but growth seems to taper off in the month of June. This basically means older bulls shouldn't be off by much, but younger bulls will be off potential by a more significant amount.

Here are some from 06/23/18

Man at first I thought in the second pic was a giant bull with a giant mutant beam. I got sad when I saw it was just from the bull on his right. My heart raced for a few seconds.

Took a short drive last night off the 700 road in 6A and found 3 bulls at dusk in a meadow40 yds from the road. I couldn't get pics as it was too dark (brown shadows only), but there were 3 bulls, 2 of which are 6xs &^ still growing, one was a 7x that was taller, wider, more mass, and longer than the other two. He had a larger body/frame too. All were B&C class bulls, but the 7x was especially nice! There is no shortage of water in that area!

Couple of porkers, good luck if you have a tag.

no tag for me this year, left the cams out to see how they do this year and looks like they are very healthy, good coats, big bodies and good growth.

• Like 1

Took a short drive last night off the 700 road in 6A and found 3 bulls at dusk in a meadow40 yds from the road. I couldn't get pics as it was too dark (brown shadows only), but there were 3 bulls, 2 of which are 6xs &^ still growing, one was a 7x that was taller, wider, more mass, and longer than the other two. He had a larger body/frame too. All were B&C class bulls, but the 7x was especially nice! There is no shortage of water in that area!

You saw three bulls over 375 inches just hanging out off the road in 6A? wow I guess I should be grateful for my tag.

• Like 2

You saw three bulls over 375 inches just hanging out off the road in 6A? wow I guess I should be grateful for my tag.

Ya but some of these guys think it would be 380 without the drout. Darn weather..

• Like 1