Sign in to follow this  
doogan

Question about knife steel

Looking at buying my brother in law a new knife for his 40th b-day. Question is, is there a noticeable difference from D2 steel to S30V? Exact same knife only difference is the steel, S30V is $20 more. Ill gladly spend the extra $20 if its going to be a better knife. Appreciate any input.

I have had one of each (Benchmade) . I thought the D2 was a little easier to sharpen and held an edge very well. Currently using S30V and like the stainless aspect. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

• Like 1

I may be wrong but I think the 30v is harder steel, takes an edge very well and keeps and edge very well, just harder to sharpen. I have knives with both and they re sharpen well. Prefer the 30v though.

• Like 1

I have one with 30 V steel and used it last year on my late elk hunt to skin and quater my bull in the field so I could pack it out, and its still fairly sharp. I use the diamond shapeners for mine and it gets it shaving sharp.

• Like 1

I have the cabelas outfitter knife in s30v steel and no complaints at all. Hold an edge well sharpens well

• Like 1

To answer your question...

S30V:

Carbon 1.45%, Chromium 14.00%, Vanadium 4.00%, Molybdenum 2.00%.

D2:

C 1.5%

SI .30%

Cr 12%

Mo .8%

V .9%

S30V will be harder, harder to sharpen but stay sharper longer. But harder can also mean more brittle if you're tough on your knives.

They're both great steel and the difference in price may reflect the difficulty in manufacturing and tempering the harder steel.

• Like 3