Sign in to follow this  
win71

Food for Thought

Why the big fuss over range? On one side of my safe there is a compound bow, on the other a custom 700 in .300 RUM. On any given hunt, with either weapon, I will engage a animal out to whatever range I am able to ensure a high probability lethal hit. That range may vary on any given hunt due to my current physical condition, amount of practice, confidence in how well tuned the weapon is, etc. It is about knowing your current limits. I have seen just as many shots badly wrong under 50 yards as I have at over 500 yards. Much of this has to do with the fact that your "target" has a brain and muscles and may decide to move when you choose to shoot.

• Like 1

Why the big fuss over range? On one side of my safe there is a compound bow, on the other a custom 700 in .300 RUM. On any given hunt, with either weapon, I will engage a animal out to whatever range I am able to ensure a high probability lethal hit. That range may vary on any given hunt due to my current physical condition, amount of practice, confidence in how well tuned the weapon is, etc. It is about knowing your current limits. I have seen just as many shots badly wrong under 50 yards as I have at over 500 yards. Much of this has to do with the fact that your "target" has a brain and muscles and may decide to move when you choose to shoot.

I've watched far more bad shots inside 100 yds than beyond 100 yds. The people that don't take the time to practice suck at any range.

I dont have a dog in this fight but as far as myself I have never taken a deer or elk over 450 yards. I just have not had the equipment nor have I practiced enough to make these long distance shots. That said I am working on putting together a rifle to allow me to shoot confidently at a little longer range.

I dont believe that most hunters can confidently shoot past 400 yards. My hats off to the guys that put the time in to practice shooting long range. Like any sport be it golf, racing, or anything else just because you can buy the equipment doesnt make you the best without practice.

I did a little research on line and was surprised to learn that of all “confirmed” kills by all snipers in all countries since 1864 less than 20 have been made over 1250 meters.

Where are most of you long distance shooters practicing? I know the 3 Point range you can shoot 500 meters but not so sure you can really shoot for a group. I would like to come to one of the long distance shoots to observe and learn.

Phil,

just to let you know, Three Points has 1000 yard range as well as the 500 meter range. You must go out and Qualify to shoot on it however. Qualification basically consists of making sure you know how to operate the target systems under the supervision of someone who has already been qualified.I have shot on it and you will find everyone there happy to help you.

You can also shoot Targets to 500 meters for groups you just need your own table or be lucky enough to get one of the two benches on the East end. Have not been there for a long time so there may be more benches now. they are in the phone book under Tucson Rifle Club. give them a call and they can tell you when there is going to be another 1000 yard match.

Good luck to you.

• Like 1

I conduct most of my 500+ practice on national forest where I can set up steel. I've recently started shooting at the Casa Grande range due to the forest closures. It's been a great range with steel out to 1000.

I'll be at the Casa Grande range tomorrow and Monday if anyone needs help getting a long range gun sighted in or needs help with a shooting app.

Adam

• Like 1

I conduct most of my 500+ practice on national forest where I can set up steel. I've recently started shooting at the Casa Grande range due to the forest closures. It's been a great range with steel out to 1000.

I'll be at the Casa Grande range tomorrow and Monday if anyone needs help getting a long range gun sighted in or needs help with a shooting app.

Adam

I would of stayed in town this weekend for that offer.

Not how far you can shoot it's how far you can shoot game in the field with any reliably the first shot when your adrenaline is up. There are no second chances. you have to face your outcomes.

• Like 1

Not how far you can shoot it's how far you can shoot game in the field with any reliably the first shot when your adrenaline is up. There are no second chances. you have to face your outcomes.

About 750

Mr. No content (Patrick Daniel), since you're here to lecture us, why dont you show us what you've done in your 46 years on this earth.

• Like 1

Adam

I would of stayed in town this weekend for that offer.

It was very windy out there this morning.

Just read the recent feedback. I appreciate the information on the ranges, where to shoot as well as the offer from Adam. Sorry I missed out on this offer. Im a Native Arizonian and have hunted with great success most of my life but its never to late to become a better shot.

Most of the practicing I have done has been at 100-200 yards off a bench using my shooting bags. At that range and under those conditions I do quite well. Shooting off my pack, bipod, or tripod sure impacts my groups. As mentioned earlier I am setting up some rifles to improve my capability to shoot longer ranges and then dedicate more time to practice. Time will tell.