Went scouting this weekend in 35B we have the middle hunt, checked out Harshaw Canyon and Washington Camp, very steep hills also went to west and north of Canelos Hills. I'm not sure where we are going to start hunting opening day. This is my first time in 35B anybody got any good suggestions, I talked to one border partol officer and he basically said that he has seen deer all over this area but mostly does. Anyway can hardly wait to be out there.

Good luck...vml

Tried the "Hunting Arizona" heading no response's..maybe better luck here..thx ahead time..

I do not know the unit real well but I have spent some time there. I have seen some nice bucks come out of an area called Red Bank which is southeast of Patagonia and sits right on the Arizona Trail. Also, the rolling hills west of Lochiel always looked good to me but I have not had a chance to do any glassing there.

Worked at Kino Springs Golf Course a couple years back... Saw some big toads back in there. Between the golf course and the border. A lot of big canyons..lot's of glassing... You'll see plenty of deer!

Good Luck

T

kino springs and south to the border is all private property. all of the land around the golf course was bought by a developer for the estancia yerba buena development in the last few years. i live near the golf course and i don't hunt there. last year 3 archers fron california were charged with trespassing in the january hunt near the ramada. the golf course is under new ownership and is much tighter security wise these days especially after 4 of the the golf course maintenance crew members where busted for smuggling drugs through the property 2 years ago.. the golf course owns part of the way to the border and the buena vista ranch owns everything else south. before you start telling people where to hunt you might want to first check your forest sevice map. green and blue/grey are public and the area in white is private property (just in case you were not sure) :D there are about 100 border patrol agents in that area (along with other various other law enforcment agencies). soooo unless you are trying to get this guy thrown in jail maybe that isn't the best spot. if you know of some public land in there let me know so i can start hunting closer to home. as for a public land spot try hiking in to italian canyon. it is on the washington camp/ duquesne road enter from hwy 82. it is above the buena vista ranch. hike into it in the dark and glass the north west faces in the a.m. you will find bucks :D

Edited by the breeze

WAY TO GO BREEZE, I like people that know their shoot. outstanding!!!!!!!

I spent the weekend in 36c, and glassed up quite a few bucks. nothing spectacular though.

johnny hiller

Flagstaff4398, Triesgo, the breeze, HiCap40 appreciate the info, I have library book about ghost towns and mines of Arizona, there sure alot of mining history about the 35b area, when I was scouting two Saturday's ago we passed up alot on mining areas, that might be my strategy just go and check out old mines and maybe I will run into something,, like a whitetail buck! any way thx for the info I hope we get a little snow, like around six inches, its fun to chase tracks in snow for awhile..at least you know there out there somewhere.. ;)

thx...vml

we are heading south in the morning 35b here we come..later..vml

Well six days of hunting in 35b paid off finally got an opportunity to shoot a buck, I tried Red Rock Canyon, Italian Canyon, below Washinton Camp, I'm not much of a sit down and glass type person so I saw a few tails taking off in front me I finally got the opportunity by a water source between Harshaw Canyon and Washinton Camp that I was spending alot of time by because there seemed to be alot of deer activity in the area such as seeing alot of does and a sight I have never seen before which was about 30 Cudomondies(spelling??) coming to water. Anyway I spotted a deer body move in front of me about 175 yards above the water source so I decided to go check it out, as I was about 125 yards away I heard this deer grunting and wheezing at me I looked thru my field glasses to see if I could spot this flustered deer, I finally spotted the broad sided deer thru the trees not sure at first if it was a buck or a doe, I figured it might be a buck since it was wheezing at me and I thought I saw a glimmer of antlers so I fired my first shot from my 30-06 pump rifle, the deer just stood there so I put the cross hairs on it again rather quickly and fired again this time it raised up its tail and took off to the right I was sure I hit so I went to look for blood nothing so I zigged zagged to the right for about 45 minutes nothing, I was afraid I might of nicked it and went down the canyon. So I zigged zagged back again and saw nothing. I was alittle peeved at myself for not taking more time at my aim. So I went back to my truck and had a quick sandwich and a beer thinking I just blew a great opportunty after six days. So as we all know we are obiligated to look for a possibe downed deer so I went back to the seen and believed it or not I spotted the down buck to the left about 20 yards from where I thought it went right but it must of ran right for a second and circled back before it expired. The bullet went thru just below the neck and existed above the opposite shoulder. After six days of hunting with others and by myself this was a welcomed sight. I sent some photos to Amanda to post. ;) :D

thx

vml

I finally spotted the broad sided deer thru the trees not sure at first if it was a buck or a doe, I figured it might be a buck since it was wheezing at me and I thought I saw a glimmer of antlers so I fired my first shot from my 30-06 pump rifle, the deer just stood there so I put the cross hairs on it

vml, I am glad you got a buck.................but really! Are those statements above real? People can certainly hunt the way they want to (inside the parameters of the law) but that bit of the story kinda makes me wonder. ;)

Edited by azpackhorse

CONGRATS ON THE BUCK.

BUT PLEASE TELL US YOU KNEW FOR SURE WITHOUT A DOUBT IT WAS A BUCK!!!

IF NOT THAT'S PRETTY SCARY AND YOU'RE LUCKY IT WASN'T A DOE.

ALBERT

VML

Nice buck and I agree with the others. It would make us all feel bettter if you were SURE it was a legal Deer before the shot was fired. Hopefully that was a part you left out of the story... Let us know for sure..

As far as the Coatimundi sighting, I saw a large heard of them once while deer hunting between Miami - Superior, around "top-of-the-world" and I guess there had to be 40 of them easy. Very strange looking animal. I am sure God has a sense of humor when I think about them.

Anyway, Congratulations on the Buck, thanks for the story, alternate topic and the pictures.