Sign in to follow this  
fireplanes

Same deer shot by two hunters

Hey all, Hope i'm posting this on the right section.... I've been hunting for 13 years now, taken two deer over that time. This past weekend during our muzzleloader season, I was hunting a distant relative's property for the first time. One other gentleman was hunting there as well whom I actually bumped into on my way through the woods.

Around 8:30am, I had a line of doe come through and I placed a shot on the largest one I saw. About 60 seconds later I heard a shot presumably from the other hunter. As I got up to track the doe, I came upon him standing with the deer down about 50 yards from where I had shot.

My shot was a little far back, puncturing the diaphram and grazed the stomach from what I could tell. (Maybe a bit of lung? There was a pretty heavy bright blood trail) His shot was on the spine at the base of the neck.

We were both unsure what to do next. After a friendly conversation, dressing the deer together, and some hem and hawing, I decided to offer up the deer for him to tag.

Seems that this is a coin toss situation. Some people I talk to say first blood should take the harvest (within a reasonable distance), others say kill shot. I'm curious of your folks' input!

"This past weekend during our muzzleloader season, I was hunting a distant relative's property..." "...I had a line of doe come through and I placed a shot on the largest one I saw. "

What's wrong with this story? I know that California has an early July bowhunt, but I'm not aware of anywhere that has a muzzy season in June.

• Like 2

I say kill shot most of the time. Unless you know someone else just barely shot the animal. I know a youth hunter that hit a 6x6 bull in the vitals from 500 yards in unit 8, bull fell and did two rolls down the hill a little ways, as they were celebrating, they hear another shot. They book it over there, and there is a grumpy old 60 year old guy standing over the kids bull that would not, and never did, back down or explain what happened... My friends ended up taking a picture and leaving the mean geezer there on the side of the hill to contemplate his actions...

If I was out hunting and hear a shot, then a wounded animal comes limping by I would put it down. When the other hunter catches up from tracking it I would say " hey man I put YOUR deer down, it's over here" Not sure if that's legaL, BUT.

Mark,

I'm not sure it would be illegal in Arizona for you to shoot an animal that someone else shot first, but it likely would be illegal for the first shooter to tag an animal that someone else killed. Therefore, YOU need to be prepared to tag that animal. On a side note, I would be pissed-off if someone else shot an animal I had wounded and was trailing. I would never count that as an animal I killed, nor would the record books view it as an animal I killed. A meat hunter may not care if you put another hole through his animal, but someone that takes pride in taking trophy animals would likely not be happy with you at all. If I shot a record book animal, and you took that away from me by deliberately shooting my animal again with no intention of claiming it yourself, we would have words. Since you have no idea how that hunter would feel about you shooting his animal, I would think twice before doing so.

Muzzleloader doe deer hunt this past weekend....beginning of July? Only one place this is even remotely possible. But not in a "muzzleloader" season.

29ur2oy_zps3vxjrc6f.png

• Like 4

I have less of an issue of someone putting the wounded animal down and sorting out the details after the fact than taking a pot shot, missing and moving the animal. This happened to us a few years ago.. moved the deer off of the ridge/pocket we felt good about getting back on and was coordinating to over a rode and to a north side that after 4 hours trailing, one hail storm and the next 2 days searching the area, never found him. In their defense, they may not have know the deer was hit, but these guys that think they can shoot a really long way, shouldn't always. Lots of variables.. I'm sure this guy and many others shoot legs off and never even know they hit them because they don't go down and sure as heck ain't walking over to check. Sorry--topic for another post...

• Like 1

Muzzleloader doe deer hunt this past weekend....beginning of July? Only one place this is even remotely possible. But not in a "muzzleloader" season. 29ur2oy_zps3vxjrc6f.png

WTF!! You’ve had troll detector this whole time? And your just now using it? Run that sob over a few other camp fire threads would ya please.
  • Like 11

Hey all, Hope i'm posting this on the right section.... I've been hunting for 13 years now, taken two deer over that time. This past weekend during our muzzleloader season, I was hunting a distant relative's property for the first time. One other gentleman was hunting there as well whom I actually bumped into on my way through the woods.

Around 8:30am, I had a line of doe come through and I placed a shot on the largest one I saw. About 60 seconds later I heard a shot presumably from the other hunter. As I got up to track the doe, I came upon him standing with the deer down about 50 yards from where I had shot.

My shot was a little far back, puncturing the diaphram and grazed the stomach from what I could tell. (Maybe a bit of lung? There was a pretty heavy bright blood trail) His shot was on the spine at the base of the neck.

We were both unsure what to do next. After a friendly conversation, dressing the deer together, and some hem and hawing, I decided to offer up the deer for him to tag.

Seems that this is a coin toss situation. Some people I talk to say first blood should take the harvest (within a reasonable distance), others say kill shot. I'm curious of your folks' input!

**I was hunting a distant relative's property for the first time. One other gentleman was hunting there as well whom I actually bumped into on my way through the woods.

- Did he have permission to hunt private property? I assume you did. This one was easy.

Next!