Sign in to follow this  
jdown

Idaho falls/Yellowstone help

Looking to take a family trip to that area next summer with the trailer/kayaks etc and am looking for an RV park or space on or near a smaller trout type lake that we can anchor too for the week and fish/kayak there and day trip from. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Josh

I'd suggest looking into Henry's Lake just outside of West Yellowstone. If not Henry's, there are multiple great RV parks in the Island Park area.

• Like 1

Staying at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone next week. If I dont forget I will try to update here and let you know how it was. There is another place I need to lookup that was highly recommended to me too but it was full.

Staying at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone next week. If I dont forget I will try to update here and let you know how it was. There is another place I need to lookup that was highly recommended to me too but it was full.

I stayed there on Memorial Day. Convenient access to the park but no fishing lakes around there that I saw. Lots of people fly fishing off the west entrance road but traffic gets really bad there with all the bison.

Looking to take a family trip to that area next summer with the trailer/kayaks etc and am looking for an RV park or space on or near a smaller trout type lake that we can anchor too for the week and fish/kayak there and day trip from. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Josh

Maybe check out Devils Creek Reservoir near Malad, ID. It is right off the I-15 on your drive up.

Grizzly is awesome. We just left 2 days ago. Glassed up grizzlies in Lamar valley. I agree it didn't seem any small lakes nearby

Yellowstone park itself, has serious restrictions on watercraft, even non mitorized.

Henrys lake area is very nice, within a short drive of West Yellowstone.

Not a small Lake, But Hebgen Lake, north of West Yellowstone is great fishing. Kirkwood resort,right next to Hebgen, has cabins and RV camping. They have showers, laundry, small store, gas pumps, and wifi. Marina is right across the road. I stayed there for 3 months, when I was up there doing some seasonal work. I really enjoyed that area. Madison river, and quake lake are right down the road. Campfire Lodge is right down the road, and they have a great little restaurant. Biggest pancakes you will ever eat.

Fantastic information, thank you all. Anybody stayed in the Palisades area? I see a couple of parks there connected to the snake and a reservoir? We've never been up there and the idea of glassing up Grizzles is very cool. Is that park such that you can just pick a road and start glassing?

Fantastic information, thank you all. Anybody stayed in the Palisades area? I see a couple of parks there connected to the snake and a reservoir? We've never been up there and the idea of glassing up Grizzles is very cool. Is that park such that you can just pick a road and start glassing?

Palisades is beautiful and the fishing on the South Fork is generally very good, especially for Browns. The closest YNP entrance is the south entrance and you have to go through Teton NP to get there, which is not exactly torture (its gorgeous, more so than YNP in my opinion) but also not particularly close. Swan Valley just outside of Palisades is a great of spot with good access to the river. On the west side the spots others have mentioned are all really nice. Honestly fishing is better outside the park than in. Island park is a great spot but gets a little crowded. There are several nice lakes there and tons of streams for fishing. The West entrance is a short drive, as is the Madison River valley. I love that area. We arent going to make it there this summer, and its killing me.

There are very designated loops you can drive. There are no side roads. Lots of bears being seen in Lamar valley and by Yellowstone lake right now. We unfortunately didn't see any wolves

I've been to and fished Palisades many times, but I prefer to fish below the dam in the south fork.

I've never been to Palisades, but after looking up the info on it, it seems to be a pretty cool place.

Exactly why I want to be up there about a year from now. Going to definitely take a day or two and try and hit that hatch with pt boat in hand. Then do the whole park and other stuff as well. Might even look into a guide float trip for the day and see the river a bit. Looks amazing! Any advice on guide services or locations to jump from would be awesome. I've hit the Animas, Juan and Green a few times, but never fished the West north of Utah.

A guided float trip for the Salmon fly hatch is the best way to do it. Timing is everything for that hatch, and the guides usually have it dialed in. West Yellowstone is loaded with fly shops.

Kelly Galloups, Slide Inn flyshop, is right on the Madison River. They also have cabins and campground. Its a cool place. Kelly has been featured in many outdoor channel flyfishing shows.