Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Bill Quimby August 11 memorial River Reservoir

Author, editor, publisher, columnist and lifelong Arizonan William R. "Bill" Quimby has died in Tucson on June 20, 2018 at the age of 81.

From 1967 to 1994, Mr. Quimby was the Tucson Citizen’s outdoor editor and a member of its editorial board from 1987 to 1994.

From 1983 to 1999 he also edited and published the bi-monthly “Safari” and “Safari Cub” magazines, the annual SCI Record Books of Trophy Animals, and the monthly “Safari Times” and “Safari Times Africa”newspapers in the United States and South Africa for Safari Club International.

When he was born at his parents’ home on Jerry Blvd. just off East Speedway near Swan Road on Sept. 30, 1936, his birth certificate said he had been “born three miles east of Tucson in Pima County.”

Mr. Quimby attended schools in Yuma before returning to Tucson in 1954 to enroll in the University of Arizona’s College of Business and Public Administration.

After graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Marketing, he was employed in the advertising divisions of Levy’s and Jacome’s department stores, and at local advertising and public relations agencies. He founded and published Arizona Outdoor News, a regional newspaper covering Arizona’s hunting and fishing opportunities, for three years in the 1960s.

He was a founding member of the Tucson Art Directors Club and southern Arizona chapters of Ducks Unlimited and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. He also served as the 1990 president of the One Shot Antelope Hunt’s Past Shooters Club in Lander, Wyoming.

During the 1960s, he won several metalicas siluetas—long-distance, high-power rifle shooting contests—in Sonora, Mexico.

In 1973, the Arizona Wildlife Federation presented Mr. Quimby the Conservation Communicator of the Year award for “outstanding contributions to the wise use and management of the nation’s natural resources.” In the 1980s, he served as a member of a governor’s panel that advised the Arizona Game and Fish Department on fund-raising methods.

After retiring in 1999, he divided his time between his home in Tucson and a cabin in Greer, and wrote or edited more than two dozen books on international big game hunting subjects.

One of his books, “Royal Quest, “told about the hunting expeditions of Prince Abdorreza Pahlavi, brother of the last Shah of Iran. Another of his books chronicled the history of Safari Club International. His own memoirs, “Sixty Years A Hunter” was published in 2010.

Mr. Quimby received numerous awards as a reporter, columnist, editor and publisher and, in 2003, he became one of only three authors to be presented the Peter Hathaway Capstick International Literary Award, the highest award a hunting and adventure author can receive. He was inducted into the Arizona Outdoor Hall of Fame in 2006.

Mr. Quimby hunted in North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, South America and the South Pacific, taking more than 60 different types of big game animals, including all 10 species found in Arizona. Utilizing his knowledge of hunting in Africa he moderated Safari Club International’s popular “Your First African Safari” seminars for nearly 25 years at the club’s annual conventions in Nevada.

He is survived by his wife, Jean, of more than 62 years, daughter Stephanie Quimby-Greene of Tucson; and grandchildren, Natalie Greene of San Francisco, and Logan Greene of Tucson.

A memorial service is planned on Saturday, Aug. 11, at River Reservoir in Greer.

• Like 4

Around The Corner

Around the corner I have a friend,

In this great city that has no end,

Yet the days go by and weeks rush on,

And before I know it, a year is gone.

And I never see my old friends face,

For life is a swift and terrible race,

He knows I like him just as well,

As in the days when I rang his bell.

And he rang mine but we were younger then,

And now we are busy, tired men.

Tired of playing a foolish game,

Tired of trying to make a name.

"Tomorrow" I say! "I will call on Jim

Just to show that I'm thinking of him",

But tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes,

And distance between us grows and grows.

Around the corner, yet miles away,

"Here's a telegram sir," "Jim died today."

And that's what we get and deserve in the end.

Around the corner, a vanished friend.

Charles Hanson Towne
  • Like 1

Thank you for posting,

Mr. Quimby may you RIP and thank you for your conservation.

Thanks for posting as well.  I often wonder about people who "just go away" on these sites. Bill Q. always had solid things to say.