Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Wasatch Mountains Utah- Elk? Any CWT Member hunt there

Looking for some info on Wasatch Mountains- any CWT members hunt there? (how long did it take to drive, how where the roads, temps, etc).

Thanks Andy

Which hunt?

Hobble creek is good early. Lots of guys hunt around Strawberry Reservoir.

Time of year will have a lot to do with temps.

Which hunt?

Hobble creek is good early. Lots of guys hunt around Strawberry Reservoir.

Time of year will have a lot to do with temps.

I have the LE Tag so I can hunt any season. I am definitely hunting early rife in Sept probably go last couple days of archery then rifle. First scouting trip next weekend, I am flying to Salt Lake and will check out the NE part of the unit. Temps this weekend should be 80/50 per weather app...

Thanks

Wow, great tag. I dont know a lot but spent some time living in the SLC area. I think I saw you post this on another forum, M.M. maybe.

There is some great advice there. Hobble creek gets lots of bulls during in the rut. There are elk all over that unit, and its huge. Its divided East / West by the Wasatch mountains and driving from one side to the other for the most part requires going down and around to one of the canyons through the mountains.

Some one may have already mentioned it, but the late season might be the best chance at a big bull.

Good luck and post up some pics and stories of your adventure!

For weather, the early seasons will be just a bit cooler than our mountain temps.

Plan on at least one snowstorm around the first of October. It probably wont stick around long but usually around that time of year it would drop 3-4 and then melt off over a few days.

Late season can be 50s and clear blue or feet of snow.

Thanks Flatlander, I did post on MM and got good direction - you gave me great info also. Thank you very much. See how this weekend goes. I should make 1 other scouting trip.

Thanks again.

I would look hard at getting a guide. Thats a once in a lifetime tag. The dates are pretty favorable but the genetics in those NE units arent what southern Utah and AZ have. Ive never hunted that unit but have hunted NE Utah and you have to look at 50 6pts to find a 330 bull and 150 to find a 350+ bull. Not saying they arent there, just that its gonna take some luck and perseverance to get a giant in there. If youre just looking for a fun DIY hunt and havent killed a 330 bull then you shouldnt have a trouble. If youre hoping for a 380 then youll wanna do a looooot of scouting or hire a guide. Youre probably looking at 50-70 degrees during the day and 25-40 at night in mid sept. I would do exactly what you were talking about and take my bow in there sept 8 or so and be ready to smoke one on rifle opener. Good luck! Awesome tag to have!

Thanks Yotebuster, not looking for a 380 bull, but I wouldn't pass it up :D ... From everything I read a 330-340 is big... to find a 350 bull is rare. So my expectations set for a 330 ish bull... but as of now I have 2 weeks off for the hunt and plenty of time to enjoy it.

I really want to experience a great hunt (safe) with many bulls encounters - nice camp and some good laughs with friends.

If I had this tag, a perfect hunt would be the hunt 2 weeks during the archery/rifle have a lot of close encounters but never pull the trigger.

Then go back for the late rifle hunt bundle up and shoot a nice bull in a foot of snow the way that 75% of rifle elk hunters tag out every year.

I reallly hope you post a few stories on this. Definitely looking forward to your adventures.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, the breeze said:

I drew the multi season in the Wasatch this year with 9 pts so back to back random tags to Az residents 

if anyone has any tips pm me thx!

Cool!!  Congrats!  Come back and let us know how it went!!