Sign in to follow this  
hunt_az

Nice Desert Muley

I seem to find the deer but not able to make a stalk and kill. These are two bucks that I've seen this year in two different units but haven't been able to get close. I've been archery hunting for about five years and still haven't been able to be successful, I have had some good shots but have guessed wrong with the distance. Lately though I haven't got close, maybe I should stick with the camera.

By the way does anyone know where the pigs are in unit 22?

post-2348-1200442291.jpg

post-2348-1200444029.jpg

Lookup the success rates for AZarchers. typically around 5-8%, so don't get discouraged. It took me longer than 5 years.

One hint that gets me closer to the deer. Don't start your stalk until the buck has bedded down.

took me 2 years to even get to take a shot at a deer with the bow. I missed. That is still the only shot I've taken on a deer. I've drawn back alot this year and have been getting close on a regular basis but either nocking the arrow or drawing back is killing me. Taking my time and just thinking that I have all day has helped me get closer. If I can only keep thinking the same eway when I'm within range Im pretty sure I can close the deal. I just get excited when I know I am at the point I have been trying to get to. Most exciting thing ever though. Getting close with a bow and not killing is more of a rush for me than killing from long range with a rifle. Cant wait to experience the feeling of a succesful archery deer kill.

I seem to find the deer but not able to make a stalk and kill. These are two bucks that I've seen this year in two different units but haven't been able to get close. I've been archery hunting for about five years and still haven't been able to be successful, I have had some good shots but have guessed wrong with the distance. Lately though I haven't got close, maybe I should stick with the camera.

By the way does anyone know where the pigs are in unit 22?

Every archer in Az wants to know the secret to success, welcome to the club. I'm not going to embarass myself by admitting how many otc deer tags I've eaten before finally connecting on one this year, but I will tell you this: between December 12 & Jan. 8 (when I tagged out), I logged around 14 or 15 days of deer hunting. It took 4 stalks to get one. You've got to put in the time. Another thing that's helped me is that when you read magazine aricles, alot of them will say things like they "slipped in to a hundred yards & then took off my boots" or whaterever, but I slow down a lot earlier than that. I was 350 yards out from my buck when I put on the stalking socks & by the time I circled on him I'd probably covered better than 500 yards in my socks. Some of these other guys that are better stalkers than me might disagree, but I have a hard time being quiet on all the gravel & dry grass & junk that covers our state. I don't usually slow it down that early, but I didn't want to take any chances on that guy. Usually, I'm kicking off my boots between 200 & 250 yards out, depending on the situation. Also, be agressive. Don't wait for the perfect opportunity, because it'll never happen. If you try you luck on enough "decent" opportunities, one of them will pay off. Arizona has the lowest archery success rate in the union, so don't get discouraged, just keep at it. How many stalks will you have to make? As many as it takes. Good luck out there.

Matt S.

p.s. I missed 5 deer before connecting - if you don't have a rangefinder, get one & if you do have one, keep it in a spot that it's easily and quietly accessible so that you can use it frequently. I started keeping mine in my front pant pocket this year, because it was quieter & easier than getting it out of the case it came with. Good luck again.

My advice is keep doing what you are doing. You are finding bucks so there is a good start! After countless failed attempts, you should be learning the things that you did wrong and most importantly the things you did right. After a while you will have what it takes to make the shot and stalk, you will really learn to appreciate the animal you kill knowing that it may be a long time until you bag another one with a bow! Just because you see all of these big bucks that people have killed with a bow does'nt mean it is easy, it is THE hardest hunting you can do which also makes it the funnest and most rewarding! You said you have only been archery hunting for 5 years, I would say that you are doing about as well as anyone else given the amount of experience. Good luck, you and every other bowhunter will need it! And remember PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Rangefinder!

2. Lots of practice shooting (and stalking). Practice on smaller bucks if you can't stalk the big ones.

3. Thick socks or something VERY quiet to stalk in. Go SLOW, then slow down some more.

4. Pay attention to wind direction and lay of the land before stalk. Plan the details of the stalk, including key landmarks (multiple if you can, not just 1 or 2).

5. Have a backup plan and his retreat area(s) in case things change.

6. Be ready before he is. Arrow knocked, release ready, nearest landmark distance ranged.

Wait for him to bed or be in an area where you can stalk him. If he's not, get as close as you can and wait in an area where you expect him to be headed. When he stands up and feeds, watch, wait patiently, and close the distance or cut him off if you can. If the stalk is blown, watch their retreat and do it again. Get up high and glass for him or track him.

As you can see, you aren't the only one. I have misjudged the distance on some very nice bucks...many times. I just won't break down and buy a range finder. I know everyone here says its a must, and for many it is, but I feel that judging distance is just part of the challenge. To each his own, I guess. Practice is key, you'll eventually connect on one. This last weekend, I spotted a nice forked horn chasing some does, and was able to head him off. I set up under a tree, and called him in close. I had him standing broadside, used my 30 yard pin, and missed. After he bolted, I paced it out, and realized he was actually about 41 yards away. Oh well...not the first, or the last. Chalk it up, and keep trying.

B)

Alot of us are in the same boat you are. Like Mattys281 said, just keep trying. I've made several stalks on both whitetails and mulies. Sometimes I blow the stalk, and sometimes I spook while drawing back my bow, and sometimes I miss. Its all experience and just learn from it. And on a side note I've missed 2 pigs and I'm still looking to get my first one :angry:

As you can see, you aren't the only one. I have misjudged the distance on some very nice bucks...many times. I just won't break down and buy a range finder. I know everyone here says its a must, and for many it is, but I feel that judging distance is just part of the challenge. To each his own, I guess. Practice is key, you'll eventually connect on one. This last weekend, I spotted a nice forked horn chasing some does, and was able to head him off. I set up under a tree, and called him in close. I had him standing broadside, used my 30 yard pin, and missed. After he bolted, I paced it out, and realized he was actually about 41 yards away. Oh well...not the first, or the last. Chalk it up, and keep trying.

B)

I was the same for a long time. I hated technology & felt that it was commercializing & ruining hunting. Finally, I got sick of tag soup & decided that bowhunting was hard enough, so I didn't need to make it harder by being narrow minded. I got my first rangefinder for Christmas last year & it was a p.o.s. Bushnell from Wally World. Returned it & took the money across the parking lot to SW & got a Nikon pro 440 or whatever it is. That rangefinder is small, & a year later still running on the same battery it came with. Awesome buy for $200! If it gets too easy, maybe someday I'll try to hunt w/ a stick bow or whatever to make it more challenging, but the way I look at it now is that I work for a living & hunt as a hobby, so my field time is limited. I want to make the most of that limited time & my rangefinder & tailcams (more technology I previously hated!) help me to do that.

Matt S.