rnhunter

27 South 28 North Rocky Tag

My daughter Allison has the 2nd season tag this year.  We just made our first trip down there and spent 4 days driving roads and getting a feel for the unit.  The sheep we did glass up would have been a real challenge to access but we're just getting started.  I would love to talk to anyone that's had this hunt or has thoughts on areas to focus on.  We're really excited to spend time in the unit and plan to scout most weekends between now and the hunt.            

• Like 2

Good Luck!

is it just me or does the quality/odds/difficulty of this permit just about scream for a top notch outfitter hunt?  just my dos centavos-and i never hired anyone ever.

lee

• Like 1

13 hours ago, biglakejake said:

Good Luck!

is it just me or does the quality/odds/difficulty of this permit just about scream for a top notch outfitter hunt?  just my dos centavos-and i never hired anyone ever.

lee

Not for me I would be way more proud of what I took by finding it myself. 

• Like 1

If I got a sheep tag in this state I would DIY it myself.   If I was a NR then I might consider getting a guide.   You typically have a ton of time to scout and a month to get it done.   

Ask for help.    Sheep hunting is different........Everyone wants to help and if you have a female/kid that needs help then even more people are willing to help.   Find out who had this tag in the past and talk to them.   They aren't getting the tag again and will be more than willing to point you in the right direction.    They will probably tell you about a sheep that they couldn't kill or got away and where it was at.   Have fun with the hunt.   It only happens once in this state!!!!!!  

• Like 3

On 9/30/2019 at 7:38 AM, MearnsGuy said:

My daughter Allison has the 2nd season tag this year.  We just made our first trip down there and spent 4 days driving roads and getting a feel for the unit.  The sheep we did glass up would have been a real challenge to access but we're just getting started.  I would love to talk to anyone that's had this hunt or has thoughts on areas to focus on.  We're really excited to spend time in the unit and plan to scout most weekends between now and the hunt.            

I would plan on going to the Sheep hunters clinic in Tempe coming up soon. Chances are that someone with the tag in the past will be there and will be more than willing to share info. 

I have a buddy with a sheep tag this year and will also be at the sheep clinic.  

And if you want to talk mearns I am game.   Spent well over 100 days hunting those birds and loved every minute of it!!!!!!!

Hi Guys! I was fortunate to draw a  24B Wilderness Hunt this year and I have started my homework! If anyone is willing to share some information on past experiences and places to start it --would be greatly appreciated. 

PM, send me and email or text. nathans.minot@gmail.com

701-500-3890

** PS I read my hunt code wrong on the original post 

6 minutes ago, nathanstremick said:

Hi Guys! I was fortunate to draw a 27 South and 28 North sheep tag this year and I have started my homework! If anyone is willing to share some information on past experiences and places to start it --would be greatly appreciated. 

701-500-3890

As a fellow North Dakotan, I would hire a guide.   As much as I love DIY stuff this tag is that incredible and it’s tough to cover the country you need to in there from 1500 miles away.  

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, nathanstremick said:

Hi Guys! I was fortunate to draw a 27 South and 28 North sheep tag this year and I have started my homework! If anyone is willing to share some information on past experiences and places to start it --would be greatly appreciated. 

701-500-3890

Good luck bud. Hire a guide

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

As a fellow North Dakotan, I would hire a guide.   As much as I love DIY stuff this tag is that incredible and it’s tough to cover the country you need to in there from 1500 miles away.  

Kinda funny that every one it totally diy but every tag means hire a guild .

7 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Kinda funny that every one it totally diy but every tag means hire a guild .

If I lived there I would figure that hunt out myself, which is exactly what I did when I lived in AZ and had an antelope and elk tag.  When you’re 1500 miles away it’s often cheaper to hire a guide then to travel to scout.  I have a once in a lifetime moose tag here in ND this year (on par with a sheep tag in AZ) and I’m doing that on my own and would never even consider the alternative.  If I had a 27/28 sheep tag I’d be all over hiring some help.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

If I lived there I would figure that hunt out myself, which is exactly what I did when I lived in AZ and had an antelope and elk tag.  When you’re 1500 miles away it’s often cheaper to hire a guide then to travel to scout.  I have a once in a lifetime moose tag here in ND this year (on par with a sheep tag in AZ) and I’m doing that on my own and would never even consider the alternative.  If I had a 27/28 sheep tag I’d be all over hiring some help.  

Hymn, seems like diy is diy above all else.