In early December you are much more likely to sweat your buns off than freeze. And even if its cold in the AM, it will almost certainly warm up really fast.

Be careful with base layers.

In early December you are much more likely to sweat your buns off than freeze. And even if its cold in the AM, it will almost certainly warm up really fast.

True, and I agree but there are those mornings that are cold enough to have you shivering uncontrollably if not prepared. Try and get a shot off as light gets good enough when you can't control your shaking. Been that cold several early AM's during early NOV hunts, luckily never cost me a shot but sure made an impression.

• Like 1

True, and I agree but there are those mornings that are cold enough to have you shivering uncontrollably if not prepared. Try and get a shot off as light gets good enough when you can't control your shaking. Been that cold several early AM's during early NOV hunts, luckily never cost me a shot but sure made an impression.

Definitely all true.

The other thing to throw in is make sure you have good sunscreen, high SPF rating. Had a buddy from back east come hunting here in NM in November and it was shirtsleeve weather. He started getting sunburned in the "thin" air of 6500 feet and I let him dope up with my sunscreen. It was a good thing I had aloe vera gel for aftercare the rest of the trip.

• Like 2

Plan on posible bitter cold in the AM, high 20's to low 30 then T shirt mid day. It could rain and in all my years (50 yrs) got snowed on once. Windy possible. Or just 40's at night and high 70's in the day. I am not much on heavy gear and like to hike in a ways then glass and move glass and move several times in a day. Light tripod and 10X40 ZEISS for me. Glass draws and slopes. I have several deer pop out of draws or brush just 50-60 yards below me as I am glassing. Hills sides you glass for an hour or so will all of a sudden produce deer out of the blue. They might have just left their beds or come over ridge or simply moved out of a thicket. Thats why I pass on a spotting scope, just figure the deer I miss just downslope is more important to spot that the one 1500 yards away. I have hunted in the Rockies at 8000/11000 feet and found it easier hiking in general that hiking 6000 FT in the AZ chasing Coues. Good boots that you can stand to hike in all day over hard rocky ground a big must.

Really appreciate the advice. I'm itching to get out there and explore that country, those pictures look awesome.

Ya, but no kill pictures.

You're in for an adventure for sure... I do not know anything about unit 30a, I'm a rookie at these coues as well... But one piece of advice I could give you is glass SLOWLY at the edge of cover not so much in the open yellow grass, although they are in the open yellow grass as well... I just spotted more on the fringe of cover...

Have fun and give us a report when its over...

• Like 2

Hey guys, wanted to get your advice on another topic. How much water do you plan on drinking daily when backpack hunting in Arizona (1st week of December)? I am finalizing my gear list and am trying to work out how much water to carry in order to reduce my numbers of trips back to the truck. Right now I have a 6L reservoir, a 3L reservoir, and a 1L Nalgene. This puts me just over 22lbs of water at 2.64 gallons. Will I be able to get 3 days out of this? Should I plan on carrying more? I am hesitant to get more bladders simply because of the amount of weight that I'll be toting. I am planning on oatmeal in the morning, which will use one cup of water, 10 oz for coffee, and 2 cups for mountain house in the evening. This should leave me with just over 2L for drinking water. Am I being unrealistic with this little of water?

I don't go on a pack trip without a gallon per day. Especially on the hike in or out. You get to sweating and you will need even more. Some people get by with less. But I have gone a day without water and a heavy pack and it is not fun or safe. Good luck on your hunt.

• Like 3

Showing up early enough to make a water run in would be the safest thing to do. Better than leaving a day early because you ran out.

• Like 3

I think I'm going to bring an extra bladder and try to carry as much as my legs can handle. Definitely trying to maximize my days in the back country, but don't want to end up dehydrated either. Thanks for all the responses, really appreciate everyones willingness to help. I'm counting down the days!

Don't discount the possibility of filtering/treating water in the field.  You can use resources like topo maps, Google Earth, and Habimap to locate potential water sources in the area(s) you plan to hunt.  Tanks (what dirt stock ponds are called  out west) are pretty easy to spot on GE.  But don't count on them actually having water when you get there.  The water in many of them can be pretty sketchy looking, but a good filter can handle almost anything.  It could save you trips to your vehicle, where you should definitely keep extra water regardless.

• Like 1

I always carry one additional 16 ounce can of Budweiser with the twist off cap so it can give you an extra boost at numerous rest stops. Popeye has is spinach........... but us geezers need our hydraulic sandwiches to make it back to the truck!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2