Hello all. I got lucky and drew a NM unit 24 coues tag this year.ive been hunting coues in Arizona my whole life,but never in NM. I've already made the drive and went on multiple day scouting trips twice since the draw,and I've seen some great looking coues country,but haven't laid eyes on anything but mulies yet. I'm looking for anyone who has hunted that unit for coues that I can pick their brain a little bit, I'd be happy to trade info on some southern Arizona coues or mulies units if that helps anyone.not looking for anybody's 'spot', I am just looking for some basic info, the habitat is so different then what I usually hunt for the most part! Thanks in advance!

GMU 24 a different unit without a doubt. Lots of brushier country that holds good pockets of the grey ghost!!!

Twin Sisters is the best densities i can give you................

I have seen them up in the trees between Pinos Altos and Lake Roberts but there is about 1 to every 50 mule deer so I would not hunt there as my first choice.

A friend and I picked up the muzzy hunt last week, it will be our first crack at coues.  I thought I'd revive this thread with hopes the OP could share how the hunt went as I am now looking for basic habitat info as well.  Looking forward to getting down to the unit for the first time later this month.

It was a tough hunt.6 days out there, shot the only buck I saw. Habitat is different over there, some awesome looking Coues area we were in produced not one whitetail. I think one of the mistakes I made was I was heck bent on hunting the way I do here in az, glassing and stalking, and i think in that unit they’re in the thick, un glassable stuff. Feel free to pm any questions you have, I’ll be out there again this year giving that unit one more shot, but if I can’t figure out a better area, I’ll be putting in elsewhere next year... did see plenty of elk, bears, and mulies but the Coues were almost nowhere to be found where I was

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 12:17 PM, Loon said:

A friend and I picked up the muzzy hunt last week, it will be our first crack at coues.  I thought I'd revive this thread with hopes the OP could share how the hunt went as I am now looking for basic habitat info as well.  Looking forward to getting down to the unit for the first time later this month.

How did the hunt go? Trying to decide what unit to put in for this coming year.

9 hours ago, 611Lightnin' said:

Drew this tag in this year for 29Oct-2Nov. How did your alls hunts go? What worked and was there anything you all would have done different? Thanks in advance!

You probably won't get much of a response. Not a lot of guys have hunted that unit recently. 

• Like 1

611lightnin'

It is a tough hunt period. Low WT numbers, thick country, several MD hunts before with tons of tags and only a 5 day hunt! I scouted which helped, got away from the roads and did lots of glassing.  My first hunt in 2018 was successful. My 2021 hunt was not successful. Only saw 2 mature (legal) WT bucks in 4 days of glassing. I will admit both both bucks were over 100" but couldn't get a shot because of the terrain and distance. Your hunt is earlier than mine so I can't tell you if it helps to have a muzzy tag.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jeff, 

What was your main strategy for glassing up bucks in the thick valleys? I plan on shooting north & south on tadpole ridge and trying to glass into the various valleys off of it. Thanks again!

Thanks Dustin, 

From what I have seen the pinos altos mountain range is all pretty heavily wooded especially in the bottoms of the valleys. I plan on getting out there In late September to get a solid game plan for the region going but as far as e scouting goes it looks to be some really rough county.

I plan on either like I said before getting up high and glassing or still hunting up the valleys.