Sign in to follow this  
cosninocanines

Barnes Ammunition

I’m seeing and hearing that some folks are having problems with Barnes ammunition misfiring. Worst case is a young hunter on the North Rim hunting Buffalo.

During the hunt this morning, half the box would not fire. HALF. Of the two rounds we did manage to get to fire, one round the primer fell out and jammed the gun delaying reloading till the loose primer could be removed from the rifle's magazine. We have a frustrated and a VERY disappointed young hunter.”

Has anybody on here experienced this problem?

I’m seeing and hearing that some folks are having problems with Barnes ammunition misfiring. Worst case is a young hunter on the North Rim hunting Buffalo.

During the hunt this morning, half the box would not fire. HALF. Of the two rounds we did manage to get to fire, one round the primer fell out and jammed the gun delaying reloading till the loose primer could be removed from the rifle's magazine. We have a frustrated and a VERY disappointed young hunter.”

I have two rifles in my house that love Barnes ammo, and never had any problems. But all the ammo I have is one to two years old. What caliber was he shooting?

• Like 1

I just hosted an event where 8 shooters each shot 360 rounds of barnes ammunition over 2.5 days. Not a single misfire/dead primer.

You're going to hear horror stories of both ammunition/bullet, and my favorite, broad head failures. Outliers are a part of anything.

Could have been the ammo and could have been how the ammo was taken care of. Only time I've seen primers back out of a case was due to under pressure. For example if you were to load a 22-250 at min book load then fire it in a 22-250 AI you could likely see the primer back out of the case.

From the issues They had with the misfires and primers backing out I would guess the cartridges might have gotten wet.

• Like 1

I have shot so much Barnes ammo over the years its not even funny (because I should be reloading). Anyways, the only problem I have ever had was one of the blue tips from a TTSX came off. Just one. Thats it. I think Barnes makes great ammo.

Only issues I've had with any ammo is after it got wet.

That sucks never of heard of that

I have two rifles in my house that love Barnes ammo, and never had any problems. But all the ammo I have is one to two years old. What caliber was he shooting?

300 RUMag

• Like 1

I believe the Brooks family have completely sold Barnes to the Freedom Group. I can't say I expect it, but quality control may be compromised with Freedom Group in complete control, now. It would be par for the course to see quality control decline with Freedom Group.