RAM

Monsoon report

Ive got a September archery elk tag and have been following the weather closely. Im curious to hear from others what they are experiencing on their scouting trips? Full tanks, green grass, fat/healthy elk, antlers progression, how much rain areas have received etc.....

-Ryan

Ive got a September archery elk tag and have been following the weather closely. Im curious to hear from others what they are experiencing on their scouting trips? Full tanks, green grass, fat/healthy elk, antlers progression, how much rain areas have received etc.....

-Ryan

In unit 8, some tanks are dry that I haven't seen dry for the last 5 years, whereas others still have water. I'm not concerned about the tanks being dry so much as animals will find water. The bigger issue is probably feed overall. From what I've seen so far on my trips I'm not too concerned (for my Sept bull tag). With the monsoons finally here, my main concern now is having the ability to scout on some back roads due to the ensuing mud that will be here before we know it, if it's not already! One issue is that we are about 1/2 the annual rain/snowfall from last fall to now, so we are in a drought. That affects the largest tanks/ponds and lakes more than the small stock tanks etc.

The best news is the fire danger is substantially minimized this summer, and given the 3 forest "openings" this past Wed, I'd say we're there. I can also say that the forest is "greening up" nicely even since the rain started last weekend.

What tag do you have?

• Like 2

Some great rains this last week. Almost every tank was filled up on the rim. Seeing some real nice bulls too.

If you have a tag in 11M, bring your canoe. Talked with my sister in Flagstaff and she's says the rain has been insane. Read a report from the NWS that said the Peaks have received over 6" of rain since Saturday. Nice!!

Good start. Let's hope it continues into August.

• Like 1

If you have a tag in 11M, bring your canoe. Talked with my sister in Flagstaff and she's says the rain has been insane. Read a report from the NWS that said the Peaks have received over 6" of rain since Saturday. Nice!!

Good start. Let's hope it continues into August.

Parts of Flagstaff got hammered today. Lots of lightning strikes, and some areas got over 3" of rain in a very short time.

Yup. Another 5-6 inches up on the Peaks today!

The Peaks have received about 12" of rain in 5 days. Incredible!

post-8895-0-67240200-1531971382_thumb.png

I was in 8 on Monday. I covered a good amount of area in the south half of the Unit. Some areas had still seen very little rain on the low flats (Lower MC Canyon east to Sycamore Canyon). The Drake plant and surrounding area got lots of water. The mid level areas up to rim are also fairly dry. More water and greening up on rim, but not so much water as to start refilling the empty and almost empty tanks. The northern part of 8 has seen more rain than the southern part based on weather reports about Williams.

The bulls were a little thin before the rain, but antlers seem not to suffer much. The bulls seemed to fatten up fast with rain. Nursing cows are still kinda thin, but looking better.

My guess is things oughta be just fine by archery season.

Scouted 10 yesterday. Did not cover areas west of Ashfork but the last two weeks of rain has filled most tanks to the brim. Looks like there was some flooding as well. Forest was very green but there were also some dry areas that didn't get much rain. Bulls were looking very healthy overall. The roads were in great condition after a few days of high temps. Its looking good for early archery right now!

pretty good rain and thunderstorm rolling through 6A right now... too bad it isn't in the southern part of 8!