WarrZone

New Mexico Elk Hunt - Access Issues

Hey all,

A shot in the dark here, but I unexpectedly drew an archery elk tag in unit 16E. I am mostly just looking to see if anyone has advice on access and getting around in the unit.

There is a lot of private land and state land (which I'm not used to) and I've read that access can be difficult. I've also heard chatter about not being able to camp overnight in the unit (??), but I'm not sure at all that this is true.

If anyone has some info they want to share shoot me a PM. It would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chase

Been a few years since my son had his hunt there, but we found no issues getting around or finding elk. Plenty of public land. We had to buy a habitat stamp to camp and another stamp for the quad. We called his bull in without a tree or bush taller than 6 within a quarter mile. We humped up in front of a rock - was the darndest thing, but a lot of those elk are in the prairies. Good luck...

• Like 1

Thanks azpredator@work. Is the habitat stamp good for any of the land or only certain ones? Understandable if you don't want to disclose since there are 3 main areas, each on different types of land. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how the camping situation works.

The habitat management and access validation is required only once a year. If I have a bear tag, elk tag, deer tag, antelope tag, small game license I only have to purchase one validation and it is good for the year with any of my tags. It is also like $5. I think the Habitat Stamp is for fishing and is only like $4. Good luck.

Get OnXMaps... it is a great tool for that unit. And you are correct, you can't camp on State Trust Land..

follow this ^^^^ advice. I love OnX maps. Super cool tool for hunting new ground. Also found it very useful down south in some of the WT units.

U should be able to camp on any of the BLM inside that unit.

While true remember that if you choose to camp on State Land you have to have permission from the land’s lesee (usually this would be the rancher leasing the land for his cattle).

While true remember that if you choose to camp on State Land you have to have permission from the lands lesee (usually this would be the rancher leasing the land for his cattle).
yea I knew that about the state land, but I think Id focus on the BlM and pack in and stay. The two areas in that unit to hunt seem to be Lunero peak(state) and the BlM to the south. But Ive seen a lot of ppl hunt the open flats too

While true remember that if you choose to camp on State Land you have to have permission from the land’s lesee (usually this would be the rancher leasing the land for his cattle).

Am I alone here feeling about how that sounds? That seems so wrong to me... a rancher pays a fee to the state to let his cattle graze on "my grass" so he can sell me his cattle/beef (indirectly), and I have to ask him permission? That's total BS!

I'm glad I moved out of NM years ago and back to AZ.

• Like 1

While true remember that if you choose to camp on State Land you have to have permission from the lands lesee (usually this would be the rancher leasing the land for his cattle).

Am I alone here feeling about how that sounds? That seems so wrong to me... a rancher pays a fee to the state to let his cattle graze on "my grass" so he can sell me his cattle/beef (indirectly), and I have to ask him permission? That's total BS!

I'm glad I moved out of NM years ago and back to AZ.

But it's not the public's grass, it is the state's grass. State trust land is not public land.