Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Cross-Canyon Shooting

With the onset of summer rains, lightning, and clouds, it was time to get out shooting. This past weekend I met up with a couple of friends and we traversed northern Arizona to shoot across various canyons. Had the Nikon in hand, but suspect the Winchester will get some trigger time soon with elk and whitetail tags for this fall.

Ed1200-2-2x3_Navajo_Rez7-14-18_0036.jpg

Ed1600_Navajo_Rez7-14-18_0150.jpg

Ed1600-1x1_Navajo_Rez7-14-18_0087.jpg

Ed1600-2x3_TCGG227_228_Navajo_Rez7-14-18

Ed1600-2x3_CTCNavajo_Rez7-14-18_0369_cop

Aim small ;-)

• Like 17

Amazing!

• Like 1

Those last shots of Coal Mine Canyon are fantastic! While attending NAU, we used to get up that way a bunch!

30+ years and it still looks beautiful. Time stands still.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I clicked on this expecting another back and forth about the ethics of Long range shooting. I left very impressed and in a much better mood! Incredible work as usual! The dichotomy of that bottom picture with the dry parched earth and the monsoon behind it is incredible!!

• Like 3

Haha funny I didn't want to click this because I figured it was long range animal shots. Didn't want to see the drama, glad I clicked anyway nice shots.

Any chance of a quick basic clinic on camera settings some day???

Any chance of a quick basic clinic on camera settings some day???

Most of my landscape shots are at ISO 64 for the most dynamic range, aperture priority, usually f/8 for best sharpness and good depth of field, use of tripod. If there are close grasses or flowers that may be moving in the wind, I can increase the ISO in order to get a faster shutter speed. For the canyon shots in this series, focusing about 1/3 of the way into the scene works.

With close flowers and distant mountains together, I usually focus on the flowers and then take another shot focused far, and then blend/stack the two (or often more) so it is sharp front to back. Sometimes just a single shot at f/16 will work when using a wide angle lens to give enough depth of field.

Wow!! Very well done! .....WOW

Awesome