THREEDFLYER

What rifle caliber is most common for coues deer hunting in AZ?

Good morning all,

I am new to AZ and have been comtemplating putting in for coues deer.

I have several rifles of various calibers and was curious what those of you who hunt AZ use??

Thanks in advance,

Most anything in the .223, .243, .257, .264, .277, .284, .308, .338 family. That should about cover it.

In all seriousness, anything from a .243 Win to a .300RUM will kill a Coues a long way out as long as YOU can put the bullet into the small vital zone. My only Coues was taken with a 7STW way back when.

• Like 3

My current rifle for Coues is a Model 70 Supergrade in 6.5 WSM. In the years past, I have used 700 BDL in 280 Rem, M70 Featherweight in 270 Win, Browning Stainless stalker in 7mm Rem Mag, HS Precision in 300 WSM, Kimber Classic in 6.5 Creedmoor, Rem Mountain LSS in 260 Rem. A light rifle is nice for humping up the mountains, but a steady rest system is essential imo.

Used 30-06, 270, 280 and 7-08. Using the 270 for a bunch of years now, firstly the rifle I now have is very accurate. Secondly modest recoil/plenty punch for Coues. So what do you have that is accurate and you can stand to hump up and down the hills for several days?

• Like 2

I have personally used on coues hunts were 243,270,30-06,7mm mag, 300 win mag. All were very capable.

Loaded question...

Soon enough you'll get a serious response saying if you aren't using .177 caliber or max .22 mag within 60yds to shoot them right in the ear hole, you're unethical!

Don't overthink it.

I use a Ruger M77 300 mag for coues and every other hunt I go on. It is the rifle Ive put the most time into and have the most confidence in.

• Like 2

My personal coues rifle is a .243 AI though in fairness I have never drew a coues tag yet.

It is ready for when that happens though.

My son uses a plain vanilla .243 and has killed to 400 with it.

Personally I dont see the need for a magnum that has a case the size of a coke bottle to kill them far off.

Any one of the standard case cartridges can do the same with practice and the proper bullets.

• Like 3

Rem 700 in .270. Love that rifle/caliber. Easy to shoot and easy to carry.

• Like 1

Overall 243, 270, 30-06 are the most common

• Like 1