THREEDFLYER

24B - Would appreciate any information for Dec 2018 hunt

Good morning all,

Although I am not a Coues Deer hunter (yet) I have a couple of out of state friends who were fortunate enough to draw a tag for the Dec hunt in 24B.

However, they have never hunted Couse deer in AZ and know nothing about 24B.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I can also have them contact you directly if you are willing to share.

You can email me at tomgraham01@msn.com and I can put you in touch.

They will check out this forum but they have not registered here yet.

Thanks in advance,

These guys are avid hunters in Idaho and own a taxidermy business.

They have been asking about the habits and patterns of the Coues Deer since they typically hunt Mule deer.

I have told them that excellent and powerfull optics are a must as is patience.

One question is if the Coues Deer migrate like the mule deer do or are they territorial?
Do they tend to stay in a specific elevation throughout the year??

Do the bucks hang out at higher elevations in pre-rut or stay among the does?

Coues do not migrate. Most live 75% of their life within a half mile area. Coues can be found from 2500 to the pine covered mountain tops.

Mature bucks wont spend significant amounts of time with does until the rut starts to kick in. Usually the heat of the rut is mid January for that area. There might be some pre-rut and mild rutting as early as the last 10 days of Dec if conditions are right.

Methods are glass until you find them. Hike until they are in range and then shoot until they drop.

• Like 9

Coues do not migrate. Most live 75% of their life within a half mile area. Coues can be found from 2500 to the pine covered mountain tops.

Mature bucks wont spend significant amounts of time with does until the rut starts to kick in. Usually the heat of the rut is mid January for that area. There might be some pre-rut and mild rutting as early as the last 10 days of Dec if conditions are right.

Methods are glass until you find them. Hike until they are in range and then shoot until they drop.

But which hill do they sit on?

Method of finding nice bucks in 24B. Pull out a 24B map. Point your finger east and central on the map. Hike to it. Glass, glass, glass you will find bucks

• Like 1

Im guessing these guys are Huntin fool members that were sitting on like 8-12 deer points?

He said "December"....a lot of people are referring to the third hunt as a "December" hunt now...not that it matters much, the late December hunt doesn't see much rut action anyways.

• Like 1