Sign in to follow this  
GreyGhost85

Recommend me some books/novels please

With archery deer season around the corner, i need to start rounding up some new reading material for potentially 10 consecutive 15-hour days in a ground blind. I usually tear through quite a few books in August every year. I prefer outdoor, frontier or history/biographies. Has anyone been reading anything good? Any recommendations? I've read all Rinella's books a couple times, most of Capstick's books, and quite a few on mountain men and early settlers. Last year i read "Boone" and "A Sand County Almanac" and would recommend them both.

Just finished Arizona's Deadliest Gunfight, about the gunfight at the Power cabin in 1918, good book. Jack O'Connors books are worth a read. Jim Carmichaels books are good.

• Like 2

Thanks, Ill take a look at the gunfight book. Ive hunted out of Powers Cabin before.

• Like 1

Have you read any of Robert Ruark's work? The Old Man and the Boy, The Old Man's Boy Grows Older.

For frontier stuff-- Empire of the Summer Moon

Classic Hunting Tales-- Edited by Vin Sparano

• Like 2

I'd recommend you get out and hunt instead of sitting around reading books lol. I could never sit a blind. More power to you!

• Like 1

I'd recommend you get out and hunt instead of sitting around reading books lol. I could never sit a blind. More power to you!

LOL. Me neither. I can sit for about 60-90 minutes, then I get happy feet.

There is one called Black Range Tales by James A. McKenna. It is an old prospector around Hillsboro and Lake Valley during the time of the bridal chamber discovery. I think it is out of print but I can send you a copy but it is only 210 pages. I like to read is anything about old Ghost Towns and my wife got me a book called Explorations & Adventures in Arizona & New Mexico by Samuel Woolworth Cozzens. I mainly read local history and find places to go exploring. I also like forensics so read a lot of anthropology books.

Instead of reading so much take a pen and paper and write your own novel.

Check out Orphan Hero for a nice historical read...some fiction but based on the authors great-something grandfather. Author is a friend of mine from work.

marine sniper: 93 confirmed kills

Great book, couldn't put it down.

The author was a sniper and also wrote a book on the history of snipers

• Like 2