Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Anyone else have "cheap" rifles that shoot stupid accurate?

Ain't the guns its the shooters

To a certain extent. But, I have guns that will shoot in the .2-.3s, every time I get behind it. Every time. On range trips, I have had those guns, and been shooting .2s. Shoot another gun....and had 4" groups at 100 yards. That is not "the shooter". That is a bad load in a rifle.

My customs, even with factory loads (in rifles I have chambered with a cartridge that HAS factory loads available), will still shoot sub-MOA with most of them. But not all.

• Like 1

Yes I have had a few that shot great. Tikka T3 Lite for me. Was like $400 or 450 at the time. Shot just like the pics. I've seen some cheaper end guns shoot really well out around the 500 yard mark. Not sure how they'd do after that but the gun wasn't bought for hunting past that really either or even at that range. And I thought this thread was about cheap rifles not custom?? I don't get the lets compare a $4000 item to a $400 item. The $4000 should shoot better. If it doesn't, you got screwed or you got a gonga deal on the cheaper item.

the question was why spend the money on a custom. The answers given have been accurate.

You need to shoot 5 to 6 consecutive groups not one group.

Ain't the guns its the shooters

Shootins one thing, killing shot is another. I tend to agree, most people I have met couldn't hit the same target twice with a benchrest gun, on a good day. People seem to have visons of grandeur because they can put two shots in a dime at the range but get flustered and shake like a leaf when the time comes to do the deed and look around for a rest.

Groups of 3 or 5? What's the 6th group going to tell you that the first group didn't?

The left half of this target is my 300 win mag. Savage 110FP heavy barrel. My dad paid about $350 for it about 20 years ago. The only mods are a timney trigger and a muzzle brake. Several groups are pretty good.

post-592-0-78427300-1532138658_thumb.jpg

Groups of 3 or 5? What's the 6th group going to tell you that the first group didn't?

Consistency

For Most hunters a Tikka, Rem, Rugur, Savage it will do the job done deal! If you can't understand Lances descriptions then you will never understand why people put the money into it. If you understand but refuse to live like that life style nothing wrong with it. As what Lance has posted I preferred the 35ft 5th wheel over a tent every time. If you want to sleep on the ground or in a tent go ahead im not judging.

• Like 1

Another thing to think about before you build a custom gun, is what is going to happen if life slaps you around a little bit and you have to sell it? And are you sure that is what you want, something is going to come along that's faster, better or cooler. That gun that you just sunk all that cash into, isn't going to sell for what you put into it, right away anyway. The big thing is that animal that you just dropped isn't going to know the difference between a custom and one off the rack. Just my two cents.

You can go to the grocery store in a Corvette or a Vega. But, it is a lot easier to get in trouble in a Corvette.

• Like 3

I guess it's about what's important to you. For me it's custom. That doesn't make me anti factory. I have more factory guns than custom. Even the factory guns I feel I have to change things because I can't stand a 6lb trigger, or leave it alone if there are any improvements to be made. I guess that's where my attitude developed, constantly chasing better things like any small gain I can make in shooting or reloading. I love guns as much as I love hunting, at least not any less.

i have a savage axis in .308 with a cheap vortex on it that is an absolute tack driver. I got lucky on my first load with 168gn balistic tips. I have another savage (model 11 i think) that I got second hand with a cheap leopuld scope thats even more of a tack driver with 95 grain sst. Both guns shoot dime size groups at 200 yards.

Another thing to think about before you build a custom gun, is what is going to happen if life slaps you around a little bit and you have to sell it? And are you sure that is what you want, something is going to come along that's faster, better or cooler. That gun that you just sunk all that cash into, isn't going to sell for what you put into it, right away anyway. The big thing is that animal that you just dropped isn't going to know the difference between a custom and one off the rack. Just my two cents.

If your building a rifle and its your only way out if life slaps your around you shouldn't be buying or building a rifle. Just like you shouldnt buy a house that is 40% of your income, or you have cars that are worth 50% of your annual take home pay. It will catch up to you fast if life slaps you around. Custom's are a luxury item and should be treated as such. If you have the money and you don't care for a custom well do what you want

• Like 3