Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Anyone else have "cheap" rifles that shoot stupid accurate?

I actually do probably 80-90% of my hunting with a completly factory rifle (with the exception of installing a trigger), but it does have a really good scope on it.

My AR rides around with me about 60% of the time while I am working. And since I am ALWAYS coyote hunting, those hours add up quick over the year. I guess that means 80-90% of my hunting is done in jeans and qorkboots too...

I always take my AR with me for the same reason... accept for last week. And wouldnt you know it. A coyote stood there looking at me at 60 yards. Grazed his back hairs with my XD40.

Yes KC, but is it a "custom AR" or a cheap POS that shoots awesome??? LMFAO/ I couldn't resist....Thanks for your service Amigo

I actually do probably 80-90% of my hunting with a completly factory rifle (with the exception of installing a trigger), but it does have a really good scope on it.

My AR rides around with me about 60% of the time while I am working. And since I am ALWAYS coyote hunting, those hours add up quick over the year. I guess that means 80-90% of my hunting is done in jeans and qorkboots too...

I always take my AR with me for the same reason... accept for last week. And wouldnt you know it. A coyote stood there looking at me at 60 yards. Grazed his back hairs with my XD40.

Yes KC, but is it a "custom AR" or a cheap POS that shoots awesome??? LMFAO/ I couldn't resist....Thanks for your service Amigo

Its mixed and matched. Spikes lower, RRA national match trigger, ace skeleton stock, Tony's custom upper (if I recall correctly). Indicentially, it was my graduation gift to myself when I graduated the academy.

cjl 2010, The only explanation I've seen on on this post is that the bullets are not fully stabilized and loose accuracy as they slow down. I don't believe that bullets loose their RPMs very much as they slow down do they? Depending on the cartridge many of them are coming with the right twist from the factory. e.g most 6.5 CM come with a 1 in 8 twist. so that wont be a problem.

You said a couple of guys gave a good explanation. I missed them....beside RPMs what are the other explanations?

cjl 2010, The only explanation I've seen on on this post is that the bullets are not fully stabilized and loose accuracy as they slow down. I don't believe that bullets loose their RPMs very much as they slow down do they? Depending on the cartridge many f them are coming with the right twist from the factory. e.g most 6.5 CM come with a 1 in 8 twist. so that wont be a problem.

You said a couple of guys gave a good explanation. I missed them....beside RPMs what are the other explanations?

I said guys gave some good feedback. Meaning they tried to give an explanation to try and explain what they thought was happening.

From my research it appears bullets do not lose stability when they slow down:

Gyroscopic Stability

Gyroscopic stability is the easier of the two to understand. Gyroscopic stability is usually referred to as a variable called Sg. Mathematically speaking, if Sg is greater than 1.0, the bullet can be said to be gyroscopically sable. Sg goes up if you spin the bullet faster. Sg also goes up if velocity decreases. Sg goes down if you use a longer, thinner bullet. If a bullet starts out gyroscopically stable, it tends to stay that way because velocity drops faster than the bullet's spin rate. If a bullet is gyroscopically unstable at the muzzle, it will never be stable.

Factors That Increase Gyroscopic Stability

• Lower velocity
  • Higher spin rate
  • Shorter/fatter bullet geometry
  • Lower air density

While calculating Sg is not terribly complex, it's not the sort of thing you can do with a hand calculator except as an approximation. That is a topic for another article. There are several calculators available on the web that will give you an approximate value, however, such as this one by JBM Ballistics.

Find it here: https://bisonballist...ullet-stability

So the argument that a factory gun can shoot accurate at 100yd but not at distance seems to be a myth.

Spin rate decays at a much lower rate than velocity, and it would be unusual for it to be a factor in long range accuracy issues. Velocity spreads are definitely a factor as range extends, causing vertical dispersion.

Where's that dude from Alaska. He had a mountain of knowledge I was hoping he would chime in. I have cheap rifles but would love a custom. I spend more on my archery habit only because I bank on the resale of a year old bow being half the cost 6 months after it comes out.

• Like 1

cjl 2010, The only explanation I've seen on on this post is that the bullets are not fully stabilized and loose accuracy as they slow down. I don't believe that bullets loose their RPMs very much as they slow down do they? Depending on the cartridge many of them are coming with the right twist from the factory. e.g most 6.5 CM come with a 1 in 8 twist. so that wont be a problem.

Re- read the OP question. He is asking why buy or build a custom rifle when you can spend 400 dollars and get a rifle that shoots really well. There was lots of post why people prefer to build a custom over a factory rifle.

Mike, I agree with you. From what I understand the 2 most important attributes to long ranrge acccuracy (1000yds plus ) are: accuracy (trying to get below 1/2 MOA has diminishing returns), and velocity Sanndart Deviation.

Of course the bullet BC wil have an impact with wind.

Re- read the OP question. He is asking why buy or build a custom rifle when you can spend 400 dollars and get a rifle that shoots really well. There was lots of post why people prefer to build a custom over a factory rifle.

Zeke-Be,

I stand corrected. I just re-read to OP. There are lots of reasons to build an expensive custom. Mostly because you want too! In the long run it actually might be cheaper than trying to find that one amazing factory rifle

(believe me I know).

I got fixated on the comments that although a factory rifle might be accurate at 100 yds a custom rifle will beat it down range....which is just pure BS.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Now if custom ARs are the topic that's a whole other thing. I think custom can actually be cheaper and shoot better in this case if you know what you are doing!

I was with a friend today who is doing load development on a Ruger American 6.5 CM for his son in law. These are his last 3 groups at 100 yards with Hornady 143g ELDX. The last shot is approximately shot number 20 from this gun. The trigger is still too heavy and he put on a garage sale vintage Redfied 6x with Weaver rings while the new scope comes in. He has better groups....

P.S. His break in was to clean once, then shoot..Kinda like Lance's.

post-4031-0-80689300-1534270709_thumb.jpg