Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Who does it?

I just started as part of a way to try and get into shape.

I did in high school. Great workout, and definitely a good thing to know if you happen to be a scrawny sixteen year old smartass with no filter on your mouth.

I did it for a few years after high school. Weird transition from wrestling but a great way to keep in shape.

I am on week 3 now and really enjoying training BJJ. I am doing no-gi 2-3 times a week. I am digging it. Blackflag BJJ has been a fun place to train so far.

• Like 1

I am down 10lbs (which isn't a lot when you are overweight and 320lbs) and in much better shape today then when I started. I am not in good shape yet, but headed in the right direction.

It is addicting and fun. If anyone is on the fence about it, try it.

I am also walking about 1-1.5 miles every morning and mixing in a little jogging at times on the walk to get the heart rate up.

I had to take a break for about 6 weeks off. A couple weeks for my knee to heal that I twisted while rolling, and then to go on my Kaibab deer hunt. I got back in the groove last week and cant wait til the days I get to train. 

I have a huge advantage as a giant human, but I am still learning alot, and know so little. 160lb dude that is flexible like gumby with a good guard is my kryptonite. If it wasn't for my size, and some wrestling experience from high school I would be totally drowning. I love the challenge though.

Awesome! BJJ is good stuff!

I'm trying to get 5-8 miles a day walking. Then when I hit 220 I'll do the Couch to 5k. (There's also a stupid zombie run app that I'm tempted to try)

On 7/22/2018 at 1:48 PM, Hoss50 said:

Who does it?

I just started as part of a way to try and get into shape.

I did it for about 5 years in MMA. Really prefer standup, specially after breaking a fibula in a wicked takedown.

I had to take a break to heal a knee for my hunt in October, but I am back at it and enjoying it alot. I still know so little, but I am learning every class. We dont do any live standing take downs in the fundamentals class I am in because of the injury risk. We work on them for technique, but start rolling from our knees. 

How much time are you spending stretching per week?

4 hours ago, Edge said:

How much time are you spending stretching per week?

Not enough...

A goal this year is to work more on my flexibility.

After watching my son and wife train the past 8-9 months (and dropping 45#) i have started training as well. I usually run 6-8 miles, and am in decent shape for my size. After rolling with dudes close to my size, I was exhausted, and sore the days following.

Cant wait to go back next week!

• Like 1