Sign in to follow this  
Lazy-H98

Lump coal to heat a wall tent

I don’t know where to find it but tent stoves are typically too thin to burn coal burns much hotter. I thought I read about higher co levels as well.

I believe some BBQ places keep it or can get it. agree with oz31p...make sure it's safe before using it, especially overnight.

Should be fine if you can find it, it's pricy locally. Unless you running a blower on it it won't get that hot.

My neighbor was running it in his forge but switched to propane due to price and workability

• Like 1

Mine stove has been retrofitted with a gas burner works great.

I still burn coal, charcoal and coke in the forges I build. The coal will not stay lit with out a blower.

Pieh Tools sells coke and coal in Cave Creek or try RNK in Gilbert.

Anybody need a forge, pm me?

post-11051-0-14810100-1532545707_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mine stove has been retrofitted with a gas burner works great.

Thats where Im headed. Pines worthless and hauling wood to camp is a pita

I think I am going to try this. Might be better than coal or cutting your own wood,

That's a cool idea.

So the deal is we have a 14x19 wall tent with a Nuway wood burning stove that works fantastic. Normally someone (usually me) has to get up in the morning to load it up, before anyone gets out of their bags. We burn mesquite, oak and juniper that we stock up on leading up to the hunt. We have December tags (5500-7500 elevation), and a possible 6-15 day hunt, so wood goes fast. Someone told me about coal, but am worried about the safety issues that it brings.

I wonder how those paper bricks smell when they burn. It looks like a lot of work and my time is limited as-is, so I think I'd rather cut wood every couple days for a half hour while camping.