W.O.T

Portable evap coolers

Im thinking about this option for my garage, does anyone have one?

I can only spend a few minutes in my garage before I am drenched

post-1985-0-92482100-1532649504.jpg

• Like 1

so I have porta cools in my shop and have had to replace the pumps. in both twice they are less than a year old. Not happy with customer service either. I also have 3 of the hesair brand and they are cheaper and cheaper built but blow colder and have less problems

Your nuts for being in your garage this time of year!!!

You would have to draw outside air or the humidity would realy build up and defeat the purpose.

I mounted a side draft to the side of my garage. It works well...when the dew point is low.

i have one that is going on 15 years old......but i mainly use just the fan. id rather get an mini split A/C. my port-a-cool was pretty expensive back in the day.

If it's a garage and can be closed . Think spit a/c unit. Mounts thru wall by a small hole . Rest sits outside. Easily installed depending on size unit 600 to 800 these days . Professional install. 1500

• Like 1

If it's a garage and can be closed . Think spit a/c unit. Mounts thru wall by a small hole . Rest sits outside. Easily installed depending on size unit 600 to 800 these days . Professional install. 1500

Unless you're running it all the time could install a window AC through the wall for a lot less. I've been through a couple of mini-splits on my casita/office and not a big fan of them. Currently using a window unit...maybe I've just had bad luck.

Always tell an old timer by 110/220. haha j/k Depends on the size of the unit, some run on 120v, some run on 240 or 208. You can usually order them based on your needs and what kind of electrical service you have at your residence or establishment.

• Like 2

Always tell an old timer by 110/220. haha j/k Depends on the size of the unit, some run on 120v, some run on 240 or 208. You can usually order them based on your needs and what kind of electrical service you have at your residence or establishment.

Yep. 110/220 has been etched in my funky brain a long time.

The biggest 115v mini-split I can get from Carrier is 1 Ton. that would be light on cooling for a 2 car garage in the summer, but I am sure it would help knock the nasty edge off if you need to work out there. I am looking at 1 of these for my house currently as I don't have a 208/230/1 breaker open in my panel. I do have room for 1 more 115V breaker though...

If you have 208/230/1 you can go much larger. Carrier offers a 3 Ton high wall style system that is pretty reasonable.

The thing to remember about a lot of mini-split systems is they are designed to be disposable. You can't just replace a condenser or fan coil if something craps out. You have to replace them as whole systems most of the time. They are very cost effective though.

I work for a Carrier distributor which is why I know and talk about Carrier. Unfortunately I can't sell equipment direct to end users, but if you have a contractor or need a contractor to quote something for you, I can probably lead you in the right direction.

• Like 1

You only get 208 if you have 3 phase. You have to use the square root of 3 which is 1.73. Phase to phase you get 208 volts, phase to neutral you get 120 volts, usually on Delta-Wye transformers. That is why commercial lighting is 277 volts, 480 volt 3 phase divide by 1.73 is 277 volts. I could keep boring you on old Delta-Delta transformers and why you have a "high" leg on B phase but I won't.

Hoss if you can put a tandem breaker in you can fit a 240 volt breaker in, depending on your panel. You would free up two spaces for a 240 breaker, the only way to get 240 volts is phase to phase, but it depends on your service. We have had to do numerous service upgrades for people wanting refrigerated air and only having a 100 amp panel or worse yet an old 60 amp meter base. All the upgrades are to 200 amp main breaker panels.

• Like 1