W.O.T

Portable evap coolers

I'm the JiuJitsu Coach on the Marine Base in Twentynine Palms, CA. With the normal summer heat wave that thing pictured above has saved lives. I'm pretty sure literally. Buy one. Ours was picked up used and refurbished easily by us.

You only get 208 if you have 3 phase. You have to use the square root of 3 which is 1.73. Phase to phase you get 208 volts, phase to neutral you get 120 volts, usually on Delta-Wye transformers. That is why commercial lighting is 277 volts, 480 volt 3 phase divide by 1.73 is 277 volts. I could keep boring you on old Delta-Delta transformers and why you have a "high" leg on B phase but I won't.

But can you draw a 3 phase Z bank on the secondary? haha

You only get 208 if you have 3 phase. You have to use the square root of 3 which is 1.73. Phase to phase you get 208 volts, phase to neutral you get 120 volts, usually on Delta-Wye transformers. That is why commercial lighting is 277 volts, 480 volt 3 phase divide by 1.73 is 277 volts. I could keep boring you on old Delta-Delta transformers and why you have a "high" leg on B phase but I won't.

Hoss if you can put a tandem breaker in you can fit a 240 volt breaker in, depending on your panel. You would free up two spaces for a 240 breaker, the only way to get 240 volts is phase to phase, but it depends on your service. We have had to do numerous service upgrades for people wanting refrigerated air and only having a 100 amp panel or worse yet an old 60 amp meter base. All the upgrades are to 200 amp main breaker panels.

I can probably make it work. I added a double breaker recent to run a 20amp circuit into my garage. It had almost no power outlets in the garage so I added 4 different receptacles around the garage to plug in real tools and be able to run my air compressor with tripping a breaker all the time.

I think I have enough space left for one 230v connection. But I had planned to use that for a dedicated 50amp welder plug. So I will probably add another double breaker to run a 115v mini-split if I go that route.

Thx for the replies, but I need a portable cooler, doesnt have to be that brand or model... any other brands to look at? Neither a Mini-split or window unit wont work in my garage.

Build your own. I have a little side draft 3500 I replaced and it was in good shape so I built a cart and put 8" pneumatic tires on it with a 50' extension cord and hose so I can roll it out in my backyard where I shoot my bow. The other thing you can do if you have the garage door open is put a mister system up like they have on bar patios, then you just need a fan for a breeze.