Sign in to follow this  
rcorley

Dove Hunting Regs?

Its seperate from the main regs. It probably isn't up yet on the website. Last year it came out right around this time so likely to see it available soon.

Prediction for Gambel's this season are looking tough. Sightings of birds of the year are rare in most places. Our town birds around Globe didn't even pull off a hatch that I can tell. Most are putting all their hopes now on monsoonal rains for scalies and Mearn's and a possible re-nest or late nest for Gambel's.

This could be a very tough year to start a new pup or a new hunter. My Belle is 9 and Gunner is 4. If you have a new, young, just-starting hunter it would be advisable to take them dove shooting -- a lot. Even the late winter dove shoot. Looking back, that's how I became a wing shooter as a young guy. Boxes and boxes blasting away at doves.
My favorite quote from last year from C. Peterson, Gunnison, CO, "The difference between a good bird dog and a great bird dog is 1,000 wild birds." Perhaps the same can be said of a good wing shooter? (Although some coaching, hints, gun fit and lessons would go a long way to shortening that process!)

• Like 1