Sign in to follow this  
buckman888

30-06 load

Has anyone found a ridiculously efficient 30-06 load that groups well up to 400 yds (realistically I feel that a quarter of a mile is the furthest I want to shoot while hunting). I loaded 180gr Sierra spitzers with 55 grains of imr 4831. On a lead sled at 200 yds we had a decent group but at three hundred we we're all over the place. I've heard I should have started at 165 but I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

What twist rate is your barrel? Try a flat base bullet. Flat base bullets stabilize much better than boat tail bullets but they do loose more energy down range. At 400 yards or less the critter will be dead before he realizes that you shot him with a flat base bullet.

Lighter bullets will stabilize better than heavier bullets. The twist rate will determine the max grain weight bullet you can shoot out of the gun realistically. You can most of time go to a lighter bullet but not always to a heavier bullet. Though the 30-06 should handle a 180 bullet almost every time. I've had heavier bullets hit the target sideways because they were to much bullet for the twist rate. Granted that is kind of extreme but groups will tend to open up first and then all heck breaks loose. Kind of hard to explain to your buddy why your target has weird shaped holes in the paper when he knows you are shooting a 6MM.

Try a nosler partition. Great hunting bullet and very easy to get to fly good. Out to 600 yards they are really tough to beat. Actually just bought some to run through my new rifle build.

one last thing. I personally will only use the extreme powders. I spend to much time developing loads at 70-90 degrees and then hunting at below 30 degrees. That will make a difference. The match shooters I know will also only use the extreme powders because of the temp changes.

• Like 1

IMR 4064 is a solid performer in the .30-06. 48-49gr with your choice of 165 class bullet should be good to go.

Thank you sir. I think I already have everything for that so I'll give it a shot... No pun intended haha

IMR 4064 is a solid performer in the .30-06. 48-49gr with your choice of 165 class bullet should be good to go.

Thank you sir. I think I already have everything for that so I'll give it a shot... No pun intended haha

Hey if it works thats all that counts. But one perspective is that IMR 4064 and IMR 4320 are older powders that in their day were good choices. H4831 and H4350 give you better load density (the amount of powder required fils the case) and that is supposed to be good for efficiency and accuracy. In my experience they have been great performers. Not meaning to rain on any parades and tried and true from older stuff counts to a degree.

I know that you are looking for a recipe for a handload,. I usually load my hunting loads as well. I was curious and I bought a couple boxes of Hornady Superformance 165 to try and I was amazed how well they shot in my gun, this group was shot last weekend and measures .375

post-13720-0-74867700-1533231043_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

270 WIN 140 SST Superformance my rifle also likes that load

Try 54gr IMR-4350, shoots .5MOA in my pre-64 winchester with the same bullets you are using. Although not too hot, remember to work up to 54gr as it my be hot in your rifle.

Dan

same with varget. I use 50.5 . 210M primers and lapua brass. Many 165 to 168 gain bullets.

56.1 gr h4350 Hornady 165 SST or Interbond 2875 fps

57gr h4350 Nosler 165 Partition 2900fps

55gr Varget 125 Sierra SP 3150fps

56.4gr Varget 125gr Nosler BT or Accubond 3225 fps

All velocities are with 22" barrel. All loads produce sub-moa groups at 100

I use a 300 win for heavier 30 caliber bullets. 180gr plus

My best 25-06 load so far is 117 grain SSTs with 50 grains of Hybrid 100v. Have also done well with IMR 4350 and 115 grain Combined Technology bullets.