Sign in to follow this  
FOGGER

Longrange scope question

Look at it this way.

.280AI, depending on your load, what is you max range you will be shooting at live big game? I am betting 800-1000 max if you run a heavy bullet as hot as is safely possible.

What magnification is needed to make a 1000 yard shot on deer sized game? Honestly, 12-18X is all you will need. 15X is a good compromise too.

What is the minimum magnification you will want when still hunting or stalking game? Low magnification means wider FOV for easier target acquisition. 2-4X is preferable. 3X is a great compromise.

Do you want FFP or SFP scope? Do you plan to ALWAYS dial your scope for elevation? Do you plan to use max magnification all the time? Are you good at quick math under pressure if you go with SFP and do not have time to dial for moderate range shots vs. holdovers?

In my opinion, a good 3-12X to 3-18X is going to be perfect for that lighter weight .280AI. I have one very similar. I had a 3-15×50 Premier Heritage Light Tactical on it for quite a while. I shot it out past 1300 with no issues. Amazing scope. I recently swapped a March F 3-24×52 on it just to test it out. And unfortunately, it is now staying on there.

For me, I had an issue with an older Leupold with tracking. So I will not be getting another one in the foreseeable future. I have heard they are better now, but still hear a lot of failure stories. Almost as many as Vortex. Plus, I am a FFP & MIL guy, so most of them do not fit my requirements.

Look at it this way.

.280AI, depending on your load, what is you max range you will be shooting at live big game? I am betting 800-1000 max if you run a heavy bullet as hot as is safely possible.

What magnification is needed to make a 1000 yard shot on deer sized game? Honestly, 12-18X is all you will need. 15X is a good compromise too.

What is the minimum magnification you will want when still hunting or stalking game? Low magnification means wider FOV for easier target acquisition. 2-4X is preferable. 3X is a great compromise.

Do you want FFP or SFP scope? Do you plan to ALWAYS dial your scope for elevation? Do you plan to use max magnification all the time? Are you good at quick math under pressure if you go with SFP and do not have time to dial for moderate range shots vs. holdovers?

In my opinion, a good 3-12X to 3-18X is going to be perfect for that lighter weight .280AI. I have one very similar. I had a 3-15×50 Premier Heritage Light Tactical on it for quite a while. I shot it out past 1300 with no issues. Amazing scope. I recently swapped a March F 3-24×52 on it just to test it out. And unfortunately, it is now staying on there.

For me, I had an issue with an older Leupold with tracking. So I will not be getting another one in the foreseeable future. I have heard they are better now, but still hear a lot of failure stories. Almost as many as Vortex. Plus, I am a FFP & MIL guy, so most of them do not fit my requirements.

Lance how long ago was it you had issues with Leupold scopes taking?

About 6 years ago. 2012.

I remember very clearly, as it was on my back up rifle on a Kaibab hunt. Luckily, my primary rifle, which also had a Leupold, worked fine. I only dialed twice on opening day. Once to pass up a shot on a good buck that did not give me a good shot angle, and then an hour later when I shot my buck @ 488. But not having a repeatable backup rifle really made me question the Leupold line. So I sent the one in to get repaired, and sold them both once it came back.