Sign in to follow this  
trophyseeker

dirt work preparation for yard rock?

Oh the environmentalist are gonna be up your beep for that one, but it also works great on aunt hills.

• Like 1

I did the bobcat thing and rented a dumpster. Even helped out a couple neighbors while I was at it. Yeah it was fun, but it took 6 months before the bobcat tracks wore off my driveway. 😆

• Like 1

Oh the environmentalist are gonna be up your beep for that one, but it also works great on aunt hills.

What works better on ant hills? Set your oxy/acetylene torch to cut with the nice blue flame, perfect mixture of gases. Knock the flame out and stick the torch down a hole and leave it for as long as you can. Come back and light the torch and stick it in the hole, you will explode the whole ant hill.

• Like 1

Rent a bobcat and trailer and play! Any excuse to play with big toys is a good excuse!

bobcat =. big toys.... lolol
  • Like 1

What works better on ant hills? Set your oxy/acetylene torch to cut with the nice blue flame, perfect mixture of gases. Knock the flame out and stick the torch down a hole and leave it for as long as you can. Come back and light the torch and stick it in the hole, you will explode the whole ant hill.

My uncle did this once when I was a kid. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. You could feel the ground shake when he hit the light after filling the ant hole with acetylene. My mom was pissed! But the ants were gone

My uncle did this once when I was a kid. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. You could feel the ground shake when he hit the light after filling the ant hole with acetylene. My mom was pissed! But the ants were gone

When I was a kid back in the 60's we used 700x gun powder pour it down the holes ants dig through and bring it down even farther keep filling.

Then get magnifine glass and ignite you could see smoke 10 yards away.

our base side walks in Japan were sand then on top 12x12 concrete slabs.. oh the good times fireworks and gun powder todays youth missed out on alot.

anyway my 1st neighbor in the hood in 1983 wanted rocks he tried plastic for a year with all kinds of chemicals crap still grew. got pissed off rented a bobcat with scraper got rid of rock and dirt plastic everything. got a chemical pump and sprayed a heavy coating of good old fashion Diesel fuel down, raked the heck out of it the next day and sprayed it again. put new rock down . he moved about about 18 years ago and that place just started growing weeds 10 years ago.

smelled like heck for a few days but us being the old 6 house's on the 1/2 mile long street didnt bother anyone. city bitched about it so when the smell was bad he would sprinkle tide down on it , I think the tide helped

It worked.

OK . NO Frickin plastic. I Lanscaped new homes for 35 years and put plastic down 5 times. Cause the old White people demanded it. Its a old SUn City joke from the early 70 's.................LOL ...............BOB!

If it were me I would take the grass out, and make it level. If it's a big area use a bobcat, and if not do it by hand with a pick. If you cover the grass with plastic I'm not sure how good it would keep the grass from growing through it, but I know that if you used tarp the grass would grow right through it.

If you use tarp under your rock don't get that grey thin stuff. I tried that in some small places and it's worthless. I've always have had luck with a double layer of that thicker black tarp.

If you're down in the valley, I don't believe that most people put tarp under their rock.

I have never used one, but Home Depot rents sod cutters, you can remove the grass.

Always lay a weed barrier and spray with a pre-emergent

OK . NO Frickin plastic. I Lanscaped new homes for 35 years and put plastic down 5 times. Cause the old White people demanded it. Its a old SUn City joke from the early 70 's.................LOL ...............BOB!

Ok , but why I here alot of no fricken plastic but not one reason besides if the sun hits it then it deterates, white people want it, ok I'm white sorry not my choice, but I did my yard 10 yrs ago and no weeds or problems. So what's the problem, no plastic but people are suggesting to illegally use diesel fuel, that's just stupid so what color of people do that. Please enlighten me, sounds like a lot of dirt experts out there