Sign in to follow this  
Mog

Electrician needed

Anyone know a quality electrician? I have a relatively newer home and my breaker keeps tripping. I can't run a Keurig and an electric griddle at the same time in my kitchen without losing power to all the outlets. My garage outlets go out too which is bad for the freezer. Home warranty basically said this was a safety requirement and I shouldn't have a freezer in the garage, but I never had an issue with any of this at my previous home. Looking for options...

How many outlets do you think are on this breaker, assume it's a 20 amp breaker. Having most of the kitchen outlets, not counting the fridge is common. The garage should be on it's own breaker.

Sounds like you are overloading the circuit. How many watts or amps is the Keurig and the griddle?

Watts divides by volts equals amps.

• Like 2

You should a minimum of 2 appliance circuits in your kitchen so you should have at least 2 Gfi location, trip one and see what turns off and what stays on, then plug in the griddle in one circuit and the kurag in the other, screw the home warranty company there just stupid. Run a dedicated outlet in your garage for the freezer.

You should a minimum of 2 appliance circuits in your kitchen so you should have at least 2 Gfi location, trip one and see what turns off and what stays on, then plug in the griddle in one circuit and the kurag in the other, screw the home warranty company there just stupid. Run a dedicated outlet in your garage for the freezer.

Absolutely correct. It is now against code to have a fridge in the garage that is not GFI protected. Best solution is a dedicated circuit for the garage freezer that is not GFI protected even though it is not code. The problem is GFI's have a tendency to fail and it sucks to loose all your valuable frozen goods. I have yet to hear a story of someone being killed by their garage fridge. Risk vs reward, just my opinion.

• Like 1

Yes kitchens have a minimum of two 20 amp circuits with only 4 max. duplex receptacles on each one. If you read the K-cup maker it says it should be on a dedicated circuit, it is close to drawing 20 amps by itself. You may not necessarily have gfci's in the receptacles as they might use a gfci breaker. With the new arc fault code we usually put in combo arc fault/gfci breakers for the whole house. As stated make sure you don't run the two high amp appliances on the same kitchen circuit. Whatever you do don't increase the breaker size like some homeowners I have seen as most residential 20 amp circuits are run on #12 AWG wire, usually romex, which is only rated for 20 amps.

Edit: As far as the garage going out with the kitchen that is against code as the kitchen circuits are dedicated to only the kitchen. The garage should be on a separate circuit, if it isn't then home warranty needs to fix that for you.

Home warranty will not fix it, if the garage is on the kitchen circuit. That is not an electrical problem, rather an updated code. The warranties will not bring an old house up to current code 100%. They will simply fix anything that breaks or is creating a dangerous situation. Are you not allowed to run a dedicated circuit to the garage anymore and put in a simplex instead of a GFI. I know code here, used to allow that so long as that was the only simplex outlet on a dedicated circuit. That is how my current set up is. If you want a very qualified electrician on the east side to come out and fix/ diagnose what exactly is going on, PM me and I will give you a guy's number.

Yes you can run a dedicated circuit for the fridge in the garage , I wouldn't put it on a gfi, just put a single outlet instead of a duplex so only the freezer plugs in, remember its your house.

• Like 1

I was able to determine that I have two circuits that supply the kitchen. One of the circuits has six outlets the other has 7. The one with 7 includes the fridge. When these go out it requires a trip to the circuit breaker outside.

The garage freezer outlet goes out as well but this is independent of the kitchen circuit. I can tell because my landscape lights don't turn on at night when the garage outlet is not working. This can be reset by the GFCI outlet in the garage, it does not require a trip to the breaker outside.

Also my house was built in 2016.

Easy solution, Garage problem is not related to your kitchen problem, sounds like a different circuit, as it should be. If it is popping the GFI, it is likely your freezer when it cycles on and off that does it. This is why freezers/ fridges should not be part of a GFI outlet. Have an electrician run a dedicated circuit to your garage if you are worried about it continuing to pop the GFI. Also your Gfi, on that circuit, may be going bad and simply needs to be replaced, very common with today's shitty components. The kitchen issue is simply an overloading of a single circuit. Anything with a heating element in it will draw a significant amount of amperage. Plug the keurig into the other circuit in the kitchen and your problem should be solved. GFI's check for amperage leakage or an imbalance of amperage going in and coming back. The breakers in your house panel check for over amperage and will trip then they get too much amperage on them. This is unless the breaker that is tripping is a GFI breaker or arc fault, then they trip just like a gfi as well as a normal breaker. The arc faults trip when an "arc" is detected. These are a pain in the butt and will nuissance trip when small motors start up like vacuums and such. Good luck, and if you need a licensed electrician, pm me and I will give you his info.