Sign in to follow this  
broadhead

Mount Lemmon Higher Elevations Help Please

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for a little advice but before I begin let me explain what I'm NOT asking for: honey holes, secret spots, or the answers to where the deer are, where to go etc.

Ok there now that's out of the way. What I'm asking for is some advice from the guys who have archery hunted the higher elevations of Mount Lemmon the early archery season in the 7000 feet and up range where it's more pines and forest compared to lower desert. I live near 33 and have spent all my time hunting and scouting there and I've spent two years since I moved back to Arizona getting familiar with the 4500 feet range where it's much more wide open. I've begun to have quite a bit of trouble with the early season heat at those elevations aggravating a prior injury and has gotten to the point where I almost dread even going out to glass for a morning. For that reason I've started to look at going higher where it's cooler in the early season. I am completely inexperienced Coues hunting the more wooded terrain, although I did grow up stand hunting midwestern whitetails, so any general advice to get me started would be extremely appreciated. Again, not asking for GPS coords, just some general techniques for moving from the lower desert to thicker pines. Thanks in advance!

Lots of trees to sit in. I’ve killed my last three az archery deer above 8500 ft in August. Don’t worry too much about what other people are doing, just find a spot where deer are hanging out and stick around until one shows up. Easy peasy.

• Like 2

Even during archery? I was kind of afraid that would be the case.

Cant be more than public ground in Ohio or Iowa or Illinois. So if I was you, Id hunt it just exactly the same as you did there.

Lots of trees to sit in. I’ve killed my last three az archery deer above 8500 ft in August. Don’t worry too much about what other people are doing, just find a spot where deer are hanging out and stick around until one shows up. Easy peasy.

Okay cool. I won't have the chance to pick up a tree stand or ground blind for the early season this year so I guess I'll just set up somewhere and break up my silhouette with some brush. Thanks.

Lots of trees to sit in. Ive killed my last three az archery deer above 8500 ft in August. Dont worry too much about what other people are doing, just find a spot where deer are hanging out and stick around until one shows up. Easy peasy.

Okay cool. I won't have the chance to pick up a tree stand or ground blind for the early season this year so I guess I'll just set up somewhere and break up my silhouette with some brush. Thanks.

Ive killed a couple off the ground too. Go on amazon or somewhere and get you some burlap blind building material and some para cord. You can string it up between trees high enough so that when you sitting flat on your butt you can just see over the top. Pile some sticks and stuff around it and youre instantly invisible. Youll have about $10-15 invested and its very light to pack around with you. Doesnt offer the concealment for drawing your bow that a pop up blind does, but its much better then sitting in the open and you can draw your bow low and then kinda rise up over your camo curtain for the shot.
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the help. I'll take your advice. Do any of you guys still spend significant time glassing openings or do you mostly scout travel routes and water and set up a stand? Thanks again.

I’m in phx but I have a climber you can use and have. I bearly have the nerves for a hang on.

• Like 2

I’m in phx but I have a climber you can use and have. I bearly have the nerves for a hang on.

PM sent

You guys are great. I really love these forums. Thanks again for all the pointers!

Pines with just a small area of pines like Mt Ord and MT Lemon get hit hard with archery

I can offer a general concept and this is what I would do in your shoes. In Utah I had an area I wanted to hunt muzzleloader (late SEP season) spent all summer hiking different parts of of unit. Hiked up ridges and peaks down trails for two hours and finally stumbled on a honey hole. It was about 1:45 hiking from road and totally remote. For years this spot would produce big time. Over successive hunts found several hidden water holes and got to know all the different draws and slopes the deer and elk liked. I know the Catalinas can produce, its there if you can hoof it and search out remote pockets. Park the rig, lace up the boots and discover something away from the road.

I can offer a general concept and this is what I would do in your shoes. In Utah I had an area I wanted to hunt muzzleloader (late SEP season) spent all summer hiking different parts of of unit. Hiked up ridges and peaks down trails for two hours and finally stumbled on a honey hole. It was about 1:45 hiking from road and totally remote. For years this spot would produce big time. Over successive hunts found several hidden water holes and got to know all the different draws and slopes the deer and elk liked. I know the Catalinas can produce, its there if you can hoof it and search out remote pockets. Park the rig, lace up the boots and discover something away from the road.

That's pretty much what I plan to do after this season. I was kind of forced into the decision to move to cooler temps a couple weeks ago so being so late in the game I might just grab the bow once it opens and hike around in some new territory away from the roads and trails, hunker down where I see some sign and then dedicate some more scouting come spring to be more prepared going forward.

I've found the higher elevations over here are a little mix between midwest woods and western terrain, which is why I posted the original question on techniques hunting in that stuff. It's fun learning a new area and there are so many deer around up there that I really look forward to finding a few spots like what you mentioned.

Thanks again to all you guys who have helped out. I can't believe archery is less than two weeks away. Good luck to everyone!