MULEPACKHUNTER

Elk arrow locked in

What do you guys think, I am done testing broadheads and locked in.

Magnus stinger 100 grn head Easton FMJ 340 at 505 grn total weight

Not sure on speed but they hit hard and straight.

Need an extra target so I'm not tearing up nocks.

post-10379-0-87214800-1533766354_thumb.jpeg

post-10379-0-76819700-1533766635_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

I started using Stingers in 2005 and they have been an excellent broadhead for me. Almost always a complete pass through, no matter the animal. I shot an elk several years ago at about 80 yards and hit ribs on both sides. Left a perfect plus sign. I never did find my arrow. Crazy tough and dont break. I just recently switch to their Black Hornet and its just as good, but has a little larger cutting diameter. David

I personally prefer another 150 gr total weight (minimum), tapered shafts, and single bevel broadheads. Also, tanto tips prove to be better on solid bone hits as the points can fold back. You'll have more momentum than most others however that shoot lighweight arrows though.

David mentioned an 80 yd shot which seems a bit extreme, but we don't know the circumstances, and I'm not going to get into that discussion as each of us have to make those decisions for ourselves. Also, we all know ribs are one thing, but a scapula is different.

5 weeks and a day! :)

I've not had the privilege but I've read that 80 yard shots are par on late hunts because the herds are broken up, scattered and very skittish.

I've not had the privilege but I've read that 80 yard shots are par on late hunts because the herds are broken up, scattered and very skittish.

I have and can say they are not par. My last two were 18 and 40
  • Like 1

Looks like you found what's shoots good out of your bow. I upgraded to a pro defiant using 340 spine gold tip hunter xt with 100grain thunderheads. Paper tuned very well and flies great. Come on September 14th. Good luck on your hunt!

Mulepackhunter, That should be a killer arrow!

I am a bit concerned with my arrow weight. I am shooting Gold Tip Hunter XT, 416 gr. with 100 gr. Thunderheads. 30" arrow, 64 lb draw weight, 260 fps. I also have 125 gr. Thunderheads that I will experiment with. I have a Sept archery bull tag.

I have not shot an elk with carbon arrows. I have killed 4 elk with an old PSE, heavy aluminum arrows, the same Thunderheads, shooting with fingers (no release). One shot, all dropped within sight. I am an advocate of heavy arrows.

I have read many threads on this subject...a lot of varying opinions.

Is this arrow weight/setup adequate?

That should be a killer arrow!

I am a bit concerned with my arrow weight. I am shooting Gold Tip Hunter XT, 416 gr. with 100 gr. Thunderheads. 30" arrow, 64 lb draw weight, 260 fps. I also have 125 gr. Thunderheads that I will experiment with. I have a Sept archery bull tag.

I have not shot an elk with carbon arrows. I have killed 4 elk with an old PSE, heavy aluminum arrows, the same Thunderheads, shooting with fingers (no release). One shot, all dropped within sight. I am an advocate of heavy arrows.

I killed any first archery bull and archery antelope with thunderheads and Easton aluminum arrows

I'm am by far no expert but I think you may be on the light side of the spectrum for elk but you also should be just fine, placement is a lot of the game, a heavy arrow like 150 grn more than mine is better when you make a bad shot or hit bone or a tougher part of an elk.

I have seen an arrow just like yours drop animals in 30 seconds. Not elk, but tough animals.

Put all the odds you can in your favor

One of the most important things is your arrow hits the target square. So if your arrows hit the target at an angle you are losing a large percentage of the kinetic energy built into your arrow. It doesn't matter if your arrow is 600 grns or 400 if it's not hitting straight it's not using that weight.

• Like 1

Stay out of the shoulder and you’ll be fine. I killed my last bull with a 390gn setup but substantially more speed (325 fps) and had a complete pass through at 70 yards. Never found the arrow