Sign in to follow this  
PseAZ

Digascoping?

Anyone using a camera for capturing there photos and videos? Im currently using my smart phone but was looking at maybe getting a camera to use. I like the Tines up kit but not sure if that's the best route to go. Thoughts?

I do my capturing with my bare hands.

By this, ThomC means, he never leaves his mom's basement, so all of his hunting is done with his hands on the keyboard.

• Like 4

I am not a big time digi-scoper, but I have used my phone, a small digital camera, and we have a setup for my wife's nice DSLR.

For convenience, the phone is nice. It takes "good enough" pics and video. The main thing I dislike is the weight of the phone making it difficult for any adjustments without losing the subject.

The small digital is nice but not as convenient as the phone(obviously). Better zoom and pic control. Lighter and "easier" to use.

Wife's DSLR is a pain(my opinion), but she really likes it. I am not into photography so it is just not worth the effort to me. She doesn't mind the setup. Pics are good. It's like a HUGE lens on her fancy camera. She likes it.

• Like 1

I am not a big time digi-scoper, but I have used my phone, a small digital camera, and we have a setup for my wife's nice DSLR.

For convenience, the phone is nice. It takes "good enough" pics and video. The main thing I dislike is the weight of the phone making it difficult for any adjustments without losing the subject.

The small digital is nice but not as convenient as the phone(obviously). Better zoom and pic control. Lighter and "easier" to use.

Wife's DSLR is a pain(my opinion), but she really likes it. I am not into photography so it is just not worth the effort to me. She doesn't mind the setup. Pics are good. It's like a HUGE lens on her fancy camera. She likes it.

Thanks for the input, yea im trying to stay within a decent budget, but trying to capture better photos. Figured keeping it light as well is always a plus.

With phones now days you can get as good as pics or videos as your spotting scope will allow. I've used a small point and shoot and a video camera and I have better quality with my phone most of the time and I always have my phone with me. Just invest in a good spotting scope. Mine is mediocre and still works well.

post-402-0-56768500-1534019292_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-93686700-1534019337_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-62106100-1534019456_thumb.jpeg

post-402-0-41347400-1534019518.png

• Like 3

It's amazing the quality phones are capable of producing now days. I still lean towards an actual small point and shoot over a phone when it comes to digiscoping but either will work great. The way you mount the camera to the scope is just as or even more important than the type of camera. Pretty much all modern cameras and phones produce excellent image quality but without a good scope mounting your pic/video quality will more than likely suffer. A good quality mounting system worked wonders for me when it came down to quality of the pics and video I was getting.

I like using my phone, for one its always with me and for what I use it for I usually get decent enough pics. I agree about the mounting system. I just did a diy jobber with my dash car mount, I'm sure with a ready built one you'd get much better images. here's a little sample of a video I took with the setup.

https://www.instagram.com/p/2klfV4yHyflg6z0sa6eoA-GS0Nj-31j_NTNfw0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1a1wwm0v7pa24

I am very interested in this thread, I don't want to hijack, but would like to add my 2 cents. I use a high quality scope (Swaro) and a phone scope adapter for my old Galaxy note 4. I have captured some great images with it but more often than not I get frustrated with the setup. The phone won't hold a focus, and if you are in bright sunlight you cant see the screen to even tell if you are in focus. I really enjoy doing this as a hobby and would like to find a setup that works better for me without adding 20 pounds and $5,000.00 to my back pack. I have been wondering if there is a better phone that I should upgrade to, or should I look at a hunting specific camera like a gopro adapter. I would prefer not to have to lug around a DSLR and the equipment that it would take to adapt it to the scope.