Sign in to follow this  
Ohthatguy

Coues doe doesn't mind us at all

Has anyone ever had a deer just hang out with you? We had a coues doe hang out with us for about 20 minutes. We walked up on her while she was browsing and she didn't mind at all. She then proceeded to walk up the hill with us. On at least 3 occasions, we were within 10 yards of her. She flagged once and trotted off but returned right away.

• Like 3

I saw a doe like this around 8-9 years ago, every time I went into a spot I would see her and I knew it was her because I could walk to within 10 yards and she wouldn't care. I thought to myself I hope she is more scared of mountain lions than humans.

• Like 1

I was packed in about 8 miles into a wilderness with the mules a few years ago and had a doe walk right up to me and the mules and water in the same tank at the same time. I was within 10 feet of it for a few minutes. Just got it’s drink and walked off. Not a care in the world. Always struck me as odd. I chalked it up to the deer probably never had seen a person before.

• Like 2

I had a doe hang out with me last year after I shot my buck and was dressing him out. She would walk away only to be back a little bit later. She did this several times and would just stand there and watch me. Makes wonder if she was it's mamma.

• Like 1

She probably had a fawn nearby.....Ive had them act that way when the little one was hiding.

That's what I'm thinking. I've had them close but not as close as you guys are talking. One time I was in an area antler hunting and jumped a doe. Normally they're gone after that, but she kept close. I found where she was bedded and her fawn was there. I wish I had my camera.

She probably had a fawn nearby.....Ive had them act that way when the little one was hiding.

Very good chance. The end of the video shows she likely is nursing a baby. But I have to say, she has the best poker face I've ever seen. She was feeding and preening the whole time. She also was technically leading us up the hill as opposed to following us up the hill. I have been around other doe that had a fawn bedded near by and they are usually staring me down the whole time and appear to be on pins and needles and NEVER at this close proximity. Not this girl.. Cool as a cucumber. lol

I originally posted a link to the video but on the back of my buddies hat is the name of another site and without him in the frame, it's just a video of a deer. lol