davehc130

Podcasts are ruining hunting areas

11 hours ago, davehc130 said:

hmm so now we are depending on the Rez to fix our over harvest....really...does not sound like a very good plan....harvest was 4 sow all year...they took 6 the first week....maybe more...

Yes that is exactly why there are so many bears in those units. The Rez. Ask the game and fish if you like but no need to be concerned about the sow kill this year in the surrounding units. Unless you're a biologist that knows more than those of us whom have inquired about the very same thing in those very same units then by all means. The highest concentration of bears in the State are in those units. 6 will not drive them to extinction. Have a beer, relax and listen to a podcast.

• Like 2

If you want a tip many were given on this site lately.  Hunt very near or closer to the res.  Bears, deer, etc.  😵

• Like 2

13 hours ago, davehc130 said:

hmm so now we are depending on the Rez to fix our over harvest....really...does not sound like a very good plan....harvest was 4 sow all year...they took 6 the first week....maybe more...

Do you have a biology degree? Somehow I doubt it. The bear hunting regulations set a harvest limit. This is done with the understanding that even if the harvest limit is met on the first Saturday of the hunt it will remain open till sundown on Wednesday. It is expected that more bears may be taken between the time the harvest limit is met and the time the hunt closes. Harvest limits are set accordingly. If the harvest objective is met in the first week the unit is closed for the rest of the year. The plan controls the harvest and still gives hunters a block of time in remote areas with only a weekly check in to see if a hunt is still open. Would you prefer to have to go find a location with phone service to check in every night at sundown to see if you could continue to hunt tomorrow?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 300RUM said:

Do you have a biology degree? Somehow I doubt it. The bear hunting regulations set a harvest limit. This is done with the understanding that even if the harvest limit is met on the first Saturday of the hunt it will remain open till sundown on Wednesday. It is expected that more bears may be taken between the time the harvest limit is met and the time the hunt closes. Harvest limits are set accordingly. If the harvest objective is met in the first week the unit is closed for the rest of the year. The plan controls the harvest and still gives hunters a block of time in remote areas with only a weekly check in to see if a hunt is still open. Would you prefer to have to go find a location with phone service to check in every night at sundown to see if you could continue to hunt tomorrow?

Biologist “never” make mistakes?  Really?  Oh and so the biologists set the season limits and seasons? Really?   Hmmm or maybe the G&F set tags and limits with $$$$ in mind.  You need to do more research as many areas in our state have been over harvested!   That’s a fact.  G&F is about making money as well as managing game but politics also play a huge roll.  Don’t believe it? Answer this, why the heck did they change lion season this year??? They caved to politics!!!  

Still the fact remains social media is ruining hunting.... just look at all the young bears getting killed and posted on the internet. Sad that sows and 100 pound bears are getting killed!! Maybe time to issue tags for bears and reduce the pressure on people to kill a bear before the season closes.  

But all this is a rabbit hole as my post is about podcasters that give out specific unit and locations... it so bad I have even heard them names specific canyons to hunt.  I have no problem with hunters doing their own leg work but when a podcast says look at unit 4b and hunt turkey canyon then bammm 10,000 hear that and if just a small percentage of internet scouters hear that guess what happens to turkey canyon!!!

of course the podcaster benefits as click bait # goes up and advertising $$ rolls in in the form of money or free gear. I just spent $800 plus for 1 blind a shirt and pair of pants.... don’t see me getting free stuff cuz I don’t podcast.... again I support podcasters helping with HOW to hunt!!! NOT WHERE to hunt!!!!

18 hours ago, davehc130 said:

I have no problem with hunters doing their own leg work but when a podcast says look at unit 4b and hunt turkey canyon then bammm 10,000 hear that 

Wait . . . Someone is telling people to hunt 4B?  Oh it’s on like donkey Kong!!!

Somethimg must be done, these monsters have to be stopped!!!

• Like 1

Speaking of 4B, why do they always have a weird number of deer permits there?  This year they have 314 and I think last year they had 214 or 241, or some off number.  All of the other units have numbers that are more whole or end with 0 or 5.  I always wanted to ask the biologist that question.

10 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

Speaking of 4B, why do they always have a weird number of deer permits there?  This year they have 314 and I think last year they had 214 or 241, or some off number.  All of the other units have numbers that are more whole or end with 0 or 5.  I always wanted to ask the biologist that question.

If you include the Hopi tags it would probably come out to a number ending in 0 or 5

• Like 1

19 hours ago, davehc130 said:

Biologist “never” make mistakes?  Really?  Oh and so the biologists set the season limits and seasons? Really?   Hmmm or maybe the G&F set tags and limits with $$$$ in mind.  You need to do more research as many areas in our state have been over harvested!   That’s a fact.  G&F is about making money as well as managing game but politics also play a huge roll.  Don’t believe it? Answer this, why the heck did they change lion season this year??? They caved to politics!!!  

Still the fact remains social media is ruining hunting.... just look at all the young bears getting killed and posted on the internet. Sad that sows and 100 pound bears are getting killed!! Maybe time to issue tags for bears and reduce the pressure on people to kill a bear before the season closes.  

But all this is a rabbit hole as my post is about podcasters that give out specific unit and locations... it so bad I have even heard them names specific canyons to hunt.  I have no problem with hunters doing their own leg work but when a podcast says look at unit 4b and hunt turkey canyon then bammm 10,000 hear that and if just a small percentage of internet scouters hear that guess what happens to turkey canyon!!!

of course the podcaster benefits as click bait # goes up and advertising $$ rolls in in the form of money or free gear. I just spent $800 plus for 1 blind a shirt and pair of pants.... don’t see me getting free stuff cuz I don’t podcast.... again I support podcasters helping with HOW to hunt!!! NOT WHERE to hunt!!!!

Biologist make WAG"s  .  G&F set tags and limits with $$$$ in mind.

Social media and technology has "changed" hunting.  The newbies dont want to hunt the old fashioned way.  Have you seen the new backpacks with the laptop pocket?  Whatever the newbies want someone will give them for a $.  

On 8/18/2018 at 10:00 AM, bojangles said:

Arizona? Never heard of it.

thought this was southeast California.  

Can’t trap, can’t bow hunt near houses, can barely hunt cats, that will soon do away.

on topic, from time to time I listen to Bryan Call or Aron Snyder.  I’m not religious about them.

I remember this one time where Aron Snyder talked about a guy who broke up with his girlfriend (who knew his best hunting spots.)The next season she brought her new boyfriend into his favorite hunting spots and he killed a big buck right front out from underneath him. 

I always keep a good area in that hat to take the newbies to.  But the best spots, are mine.

Nature girl??? 

I bet she spilled lots of beans!!!

• Haha 1

I love podcast and social media. I know the areas to put in for because I know everybody will be putting in for the units the podcast is about. Less hunting pressure in other units. No way to keep unit 34 or any of the Gila units here quiet so everybody is putting in for them. That is why I have gotten 9 elk tags in the last 12 years, less sought after units.

• Like 2

Dang now you gave away my secret pocket of Ek in 34.  The coordinates are still a secret cause I hid them in my Bat Cave.😜☠️🙈🙉🙊

59 minutes ago, ThomC said:

Dang now you gave away my secret pocket of Ek in 34.  The coordinates are still a secret cause I hid them in my Bat Cave.😜☠️🙈🙉🙊

No I just gave a unit, not any particular honey holes. I am waiting for the newbie with one post to ask and then it will flow like water after the dam breaks😇

• Like 1