doubleaelkhunter

Unit 8 Late Rifle Bull Elk Hunt

I spend most of my time in unit 8 in the southern half of the unit.  Until things change, I'd stay focused on and above the rim and in the canyons.  The drought cleared elk out of the lower flats.  I saw my first elk, since spring, down on the lower flats on Wednesday.   There is much more food up high while things are just starting to green down low, so I doubt they'll drop down to the lower flats any time soon.

On the other hand, if we get hit with snow come rifle season, those elk will drop down and it is good to know the area a little bit in advance.

A good place to look right now are view points along the many canyon rims.  

Don't focus to much where the elk are right now, late rifle season there patterns change completely.

22 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

I spend most of my time in unit 8 in the southern half of the unit.  Until things change, I'd stay focused on and above the rim and in the canyons.  The drought cleared elk out of the lower flats.  I saw my first elk, since spring, down on the lower flats on Wednesday.   There is much more food up high while things are just starting to green down low, so I doubt they'll drop down to the lower flats any time soon.

On the other hand, if we get hit with snow come rifle season, those elk will drop down and it is good to know the area a little bit in advance.

A good place to look right now are view points along the many canyon rims.  

Thank you MT_Sourdough! Correction the tank near where I camp is Pancho Viejo. I looked at the raa map that is on the game management link of AZGF website. There is a lot of land in this unit.Llooking forward to a fun hunt. Hopefully it won't be too cold. 

It will be a good hunt, but can be very tough and cold. Try and get away from roads and get down near some of the canyons to glass.

Get up there a couple weeks before your hunt and scout. 

If the weather has gotten nasty and cold the transition area might be good.