AZ8

Archery OTC. Who's ready?

6 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

Things can change when I check some cams tomorrow when I get up there. Good Luck!

good luck shelvin i will be checking cams the next few days as well to decide whats good for the family

Gotta work Friday and my now 10 year old as of yesterday has hunter ed on Saturday which takes priority other wise his youth elk tag is worthless.  I am hoping to get away a couple times and hike into some wilderness areas and try some backpacking. Hopefully the wife can join me for an overnighter.  

Lot of guys haven't gone out scouting yet!!!  Thats fine.  Archery is my second type of hunting.  I focus on rifle but when I get the itch to go out I just grab my bow and head out.  No need to scout just enjoy being out doors and if you can put on a stalk thats good hunting right there.  I would say 50 percent of the time I head out I put on some type of stalk.  At least I get the buck fever feeling :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zeke-BE said:

Lot of guys haven't gone out scouting yet!!!  Thats fine.  Archery is my second type of hunting.  I focus on rifle but when I get the itch to go out I just grab my bow and head out.  No need to scout just enjoy being out doors and if you can put on a stalk thats good hunting right there.  I would say 50 percent of the time I head out I put on some type of stalk.  At least I get the buck fever feeling :)

Absolutely.this time of year on a morning shaded hill  1/4 from any road there’s deer 

On 8/21/2018 at 6:49 PM, Forlorn Hope said:

Archery OTC. Who's ready?

Probably guys in the archery deer hunting forum.

On 8/21/2018 at 7:49 PM, Forlorn Hope said:

I prefer Dec/Jan hunts as they're more enjoyable! Both in activity and weather. There are 2 things that usually end my August hunt before tagging out:  The heat and the bugs!  This year, I'm going to move up a little higher in elevation to try and beat the heat. Bug wise, I found some odorless spray at Wally World I'm going to try. Although I'm a little weary even if it's says odorless. 

I haven't done much scouting this year due to work, family..etc, so going in somewhat blind. Fortunately I'm pretty comfortable where I'm going so I'll give it my best. 

Good luck everyone!

Ive had good luck with the scent free bug spray from Wally. Not completely scent free and not as strong as the higher % deet but it works and the deer don’t seem to mind it.

Josh

• Like 1

I got a decent mulie in January , so I get to wait till Jan again.  Not complaining.  Going to check two cameras sometime next week.  Pretty excited to see what they show me.  Good luck to all and take plenty of pics.  I have to live vicariously for now.

Until recently, the areas I have cameras haven't had Mulies since March.  Now, since the rains, I have some bucks on cams at different sites, but all are babies.  So I go out glassing and still not seeing much.   This evening I start glassing some elk as they feed into some Junipers, As I am watching the elk clustered up in some Junipers, I see a tail flipping side to side.  Not sure if my eyes were playing with me, but a few minutes later I see a Muley buck step out.  Nothing very big, but the first mature buck that I have seen in months.

By the way, bull elk was about 90% rubbed off.

All I plan to do is sit a blind for starters.  

Good luck to those going.

Debating if I wanna go out tomorrow, may wait a week let everything die down alittle and head out tuseday or so. Good luck to everyone shoot straight and share some pics.

• Like 1

Still @ work myself get off @ 12:00.  4:45 is gunna come early if I manage to make it out ;)