broadhead

The day is upon us! Let's hear the reports!

I am completely unable to hunt at all until at least next weekend so I have to live vicariously through all of you until then. I need stories. Success stories, misses, blown stalks, funny stuff, ups and downs. Story time.

I had to work.  So while masking a skylight for painting a fly got stuck between the skylight and the plastic.  I smooshed it with my finger and a bunch of baby maggots squirted out of its anus.   Better then nothing I guess. 

• Like 1

I had to read that! while I am sitting here eating Baked beans!.......LOL   .........BOB!

• Like 1

snuck out for a few hours before work, tried to set up where I though the bucks would walk though. No such luck but had a doe walk by @ 52 then circle back @ 30 to bad it wasn't one of the bucks I was hoping for. Wont be back out for myself till next week gunna go help some buddies over the weekend. Good luck to all. Down to hear some stories myself :)

30 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I had to work.  So while masking a skylight for painting a fly got stuck between the skylight and the plastic.  I smooshed it with my finger and a bunch of baby maggots squirted out of its anus.   Better then nothing I guess. 

Sounds like good eatin! Redneck caviar! I keep the bow in the truck Incase I catch a buck off the road driving home. I’m not hardcore but might get lucky.

• Like 1

Well I haven't been able to get away from work to do any hunting this season yet but I did finally get the buck that I killed last year back from the taxidermist.image.thumb.jpg.ce3131441d1e782b9533a546f723fe87.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.e6252766521808015f518404b01479ef.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.560289c5e18e4d218f0dcde99d124ab0.jpgSo now Alfred has his good buddy Tiny Tim to "hangout" with.

• Like 9
  • Great Buck! 1

That's awesome. Is it just me or does that buck look like a hybrid? Face of a Coues but the split beams like a mulie? Either way I want a room just like that with a wood stove and some deer heads on the wall. One of the things that I miss the most from growing up in Wisconsin is the cozy finished basement for displaying trophy mounts and watching football and movies. Apparently the ground is too hard to dig foundations like that here in Arizona. I'm no fan of the heat out here but I'm not exactly ready to trade our winters yet...

49 minutes ago, broadhead said:

That's awesome. Is it just me or does that buck look like a hybrid? Face of a Coues but the split beams like a mulie? Either way I want a room just like that with a wood stove and some deer heads on the wall. One of the things that I miss the most from growing up in Wisconsin is the cozy finished basement for displaying trophy mounts and watching football and movies. Apparently the ground is too hard to dig foundations like that here in Arizona. I'm no fan of the heat out here but I'm not exactly ready to trade our winters yet...

Ground is hard in a few areas but it hasn't stopped people from building pools or making lower level parking garages. I only know of one person who bought a home with a basement.

Yeah I've seen a few places around town here in Tucson that did that. I wonder if it's just certain areas are able to do it and some aren't. I bet it would be great for the hot months here.

It’s not soil conditions, it’s frost depths. Foundations have to be dug 12” below frost line. So in most of AZ that means foundations are only 18” deep, so to dig a basement is an extra cost for excavation, spoil haul off and concrete foundation walls. In places where the frost depth is 36” or 48” then the foundation already has to be excavated, spoils removed and foundation walls poured. So the cost to do the extra excavation and lower the depth of the slab is much lower than in a house with shallow foundations.

This is why in places with a moderate frost depth of 24” or 36” you see a lot of split level or tri-level homes instead of full basements.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mangum said:

Well I haven't been able to get away from work to do any hunting this season yet but I did finally get the buck that I killed last year back from the taxidermist.image.thumb.jpg.ce3131441d1e782b9533a546f723fe87.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.e6252766521808015f518404b01479ef.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.560289c5e18e4d218f0dcde99d124ab0.jpgSo now Alfred has his good buddy Tiny Tim to "hangout" with.

Stud bucks! The new mount looks great!👍

Website looks like it got an upgrade. 

I was able to get close this weekend but couldn’t seal the deal. Southern AZ has got over 10” of monsoon rain so sitting water was not an option imo. Green as far as the eye can see and I had the entire unit to myself. Didn’t even see another truck :-)

Glassed a nice 3x at first light. Got to 135 and saw he was with a little buck. Made a big move all the way around the hill to get in behind. Had him at 50 yards in an ocotillo. Next step he took was gonna let it fly. Turned out to be the small buck. %^\!?! 

To to be continued. 

033994BF-F26C-4C0F-8693-47780706F847.jpeg

53AD5997-CDC8-48B0-86CC-D8478AA770C2.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jnj13 said:

Website looks like it got an upgrade. 

I was able to get close this weekend but couldn’t seal the deal. Southern AZ has got over 10” of monsoon rain so sitting water was not an option imo. Green as far as the eye can see and I had the entire unit to myself. Didn’t even see another truck 🙂

Glassed a nice 3x at first light. Got to 135 and saw he was with a little buck. Made a big move all the way around the hill to get in behind. Had him at 50 yards in an ocotillo. Next step he took was gonna let it fly. Turned out to be the small buck. %^\!?! 

To to be continued. 

033994BF-F26C-4C0F-8693-47780706F847.jpeg

53AD5997-CDC8-48B0-86CC-D8478AA770C2.jpeg

At least you got out there and got some great views. After the last couple years it's crazy to see all this rain down here. I'm south of Tucson and hunt primarily unit 33 and I live right on the northern edge of 34A which I'll be looking to get much more familiar with after moving here. Driving home the last week and just looking around at the scenery I realized I hadn't even noticed how green everything became all of a sudden. Even the plants in my yard took off in the day or two when it got hot again and didn't rain. If all works out with this week I'll be able to get on the mountain Friday after work and stay out until at least Sunday. If I don't get out then I might not even be able to hunt the early season at all.

• Like 2