Sign in to follow this  
broadhead

How far from your glassing spots do you camp?

1 hour ago, broadhead said:

Good then I'm okay camping right next to where I plan to glass. I don't know about you guys but my size 12s are not the definition of stealth going up a mountain in the dark...

Some soles are quieter than others. My Danner Pronghorns are quieter than My UH  Bozemans but the UH's have better grip going up granite rocks.

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Some soles are quieter than others. My Danner Pronghorns are quieter than My UH  Bozemans but the UH's have better grip going up granite rocks.

How do you like those Danners? I have the Salomon GTD somethin or others and I really like them for their comfort and tread but I give up a little bit in the noise department. Eventually when they run out I'll be looking for something comfortable with ankle support.

Iv'e Had Danner pronghorns for 15 years. Comfortable and quiet. Had new bottoms put on them for $80 when I was up in N Dakota. . The only thing I didn't like is the waterproofing wore off rather quikly when new. They are quiet tho..........BOB!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, broadhead said:

How do you like those Danners? I have the Salomon GTD somethin or others and I really like them for their comfort and tread but I give up a little bit in the noise department. Eventually when they run out I'll be looking for something comfortable with ankle support.

I have had these for 4-5 years and had to use some tent glue when part of the sole began to come apart two years ago. The plus is they were broken in the first 50 yards and are very light. The downside is even though they are EW they fit me pretty snug and I would like to have more room.

Ankle support is good but the soles are getting worn.

• Like 1

I shot my buck at 330 yards last year 250 yards above our camp last year we had a fire that night then warmed up some burros and drank coffee before we left for the morning hunt!

I think people believe their camps and noise disturb deer a lot more than they do.  Especially in the case of wilderness deer. Ive been 8 miles deep in the mazatzal and had two herds of deer walk into my camp to stare at my little fire from less than 10 yards away within 30 minutes of each other.  Had a forky buck walk dang near right up to us when we were camped by a creek making breakfast in the morning one time.  Last year I had a doe and her fawn walk right up to me when I was going up a tree in a climber. 

Deer are very curious critters.  In my experience your much more likely to spook them out by moving through an area.  I usually sleep right at my glassing spot if I’m using binos and if I’m sitting an ambush, I’ll be within 100-200 yards of it so I don’t make too much noise going in.  I’ve even slept in my ground blind before and still seen deer the next day.

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

I backpack hunt, 2 years ago, group of doe walked through my camp at 2 in the morning, scared the piss out of me, got out of my shelter shined surefire on them, they still didn’t care, just walked away. I’m down by the boarder by my self. Don’t think camo matters in daytime, noise discipline at night is the biggest I think. Waking up and start glassing is awesome 

• Like 1

I'm really glad I started this thread. I started out just wondering about setting up too close and ended up getting a lot of helpful info. Deer are funny animals for sure. I think once the weather cools off a little bit I'm going to get up high and see what they're patterns look like once the velvet comes off. More importantly given I'll be bow hunting the rut I think I'll try to assess where the does are so come December and January I'll have an idea of where to start out. I'm also kicking around the idea of posting up high once the rifle seasons kick off to get an idea of how much that area is getting pressured this year. Anyone else do that or do you guys mostly stay clear of the areas if you don't have a tag?

I generally try to stay out of an area if I know there's a rifle season going on.  If i do go out I try to stay on main roads just to try to stay out of the way of hunters.  

When backpack hunting I always camp very near my glassing spots and have never had any issues of spooking game (at least that I'm aware of). Many times I've sat down to glass and within minutes I've seen game within 200, 100 even 50 yards of me and often on the same hillsides. Just be sure not to camp on a peak or top of a ridge line, try to find a spot where you're not so exposed and visible and of course try and keep noise to a minimum. 

• Like 1

Aw'heck, I can remember chilling out in camp one morning when a doe came in to my camp.  I stayed still and quiet and she eventually made her way over to me.  Next thing I know she has her nose pressed against my face.  I put my hand up and started petting her on the neck, partially because I was afraid she might decide to see what I taste like.  They sure feel strong. After a short while, she meandered out of camp and I was stunned by what just happened.  I do not know what that has to do with the price of tea in China, but you never know what may happen when you are out there with a quiet camp.

what about campfire smoke?  Not a raging, "hey, let's party" fire, but a warm the pot for coffee kind of small fire. Or should it just be stoves? Summit hut says MSR is all out of fuel canisters, that is why I am asking.